Options

Funny story about a job....

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
....So I worked at a company at the end of last year, I worked as a PC Repair technician. Plus, because I am still young (21) I was kind of the B.I.T.C.H.

I had to make deliveries and other odd jobs around the office.

So, I was on contract working for these people. When my contract was up, obviously, I had to leave. When I was about to leave they said "When you see another computer job advertised, please apply". I wasn't strictly hired on as a PC Repair Tech. At the time I didn't have any certs... so it was more of a trail.

Two weeks ago I was the job in the local paper. So I though, I'd send in my resume and see what they say.

Just keep in mind, the job duties are:

Taking phone calls;
Dealing with customers;
Setting appointments at customer locations;
Hardware and software troubleshooting;
Upgrading Hardware and Software.

As you can see, a basic (entry leval) position.
I know the office manager in the business, so I emailed them to see how my application was going.

I had an e-mail back yesterday saying

"Actually, we have hired an MCSE and we're still looking for someone else. We are conducting interviews in the next two weeks"

So, an MCSE is taking a basic entry leval job.
If I was an MCSE I'd want something a lot more.... challenging.

I'd rather sit in an office all day with about 30 - 70 employees and manage the network, users and servers.

I'm sure that's what a lot of MCSE's on here actually do.

Sorry about this, just venting.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Yup, that is very common. I still see a lot of job postings that lists "MCP/MCSE" as a requirement for PC Technician.

I am guessing their HR department never caught up with the fact that there's now MCDST, and MCSA in the line of Microsoft Certifications.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Actually, I have something to add.

As you said, never ask for MCSA.

I was talking to a "Computer Tech" the other day. He was boasting that he knew everything about computers, but, just by the way he was talking he didn't know everything.

He claims that you only need one exam for MCSE. I turned around in my brittish manner and said, very loud and clear "BOLLOCKS". But the thing is, I live in america now, so he didn't know what I meant.

Then I tried to explain, if you pass the requirements for MCSE, you'd also have MCSA. He tried saying "NO, that's not true"

So, there's a lot of people out there that try and say that they're something they are really not.

I know I only have A+ and Network+. I am now studying 70-270, and I pretty much know what the requirements are for taking these tests, I have them all planned out, in which order I'm going to take them too! icon_cool.gif
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    We have pretty close background then. I'll be 21 also in 2 months time. I was in England for a week and a half back in May, so I did pick up a temporary British accent/life style.

I'm working towards my MCSA, because I dont find myself liking Microsoft THAT much to want to pay them more money...heh....Plus I want to also focus on other certs like CCNA....We shall work on our "one exam" icon_rolleyes.gif MCSA/MCSE together....

A lot of people dont know the details about MCP certification, they think MCSE is the 'standard' term for Microsoft Certification. So I wouldnt be surprised if there are people that thinks MCSE is 1 exam.

Cheers,
  • Options
    I have lived in the states now for two years. I still got the accent.
    And I'm constantly being asked "Where are you from? Australia?"

I have kind of worked with windows XP for a while, but just the basic stuff. I think I still have a way to go until I take the exam. The user profiles is what got me for a couple of days.

But, I know I'll get there. I have a memory like an elephant.

Jamie
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I have lived in the states now for two years. I still got the accent.
    And I'm constantly being asked "Where are you from? Australia?"

I have seen a guy get slapped in the face by a British girl for asking that.
    I have kind of worked with windows XP for a while, but just the basic stuff. I think I still have a way to go until I take the exam. The user profiles is what got me for a couple of days.

But, I know I'll get there. I have a memory like an elephant.
    Jamie

Good luck to you in your certifications.
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    Yep in Michiagn we have people with Master Degree's, certs up the wazoo, and huge experience applying for entry level $10 hour positions. Job market sucks right now!