Options

Work vs. family: do you bring work home?

I believe in the IT filed it's very difficult not to bring home some of your work. Everyday a new technology comes out and one may tend to spend some time at home researching and exploring.

I'm just wondering how others who have full-time jobs handle the temptations to sit in front of their PC for few hours a day to make sure they are 'up-to-date'. I'm really trying to cut down on the amount of time I spend outside work on IT. I know IT is very competitive and you have to stay on top of things, but at the same time, I'm starting to realize the impact of this career on family life. I believe there has to be a balance.

How much time, on average, you spend outside work on IT, i.e. your career?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the beginning of my career I admit I did a lot, but it was also fun, kind of like a hobby to absorb more and more. Now, not too much. I do a lot of email, a little surfing, and sometimes actual work, but not too much any more. Now it's more like occasional study for certs or maybe curiousity about something new. I also spend time here (techexams) but that's not work :) .

All in all, my wife and kids spend as much or more time on computers at home than I do.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, work often follows me home. Sometimes I provide remote tech support after hours via phone, e-mail, Remedy for internal users. Other times, I go back in to correct problems. 24/7, baby!

For new IT application rollouts, I attempt to familiarize myself as much as possible on site. But sometimes, I must remote in to become the subject matter expert. Certain complex issues are brought home as well.

I've always viewed the after-hours aspect of the profession as one of the mandatory steps required for success.

Including grad school, I probably spend 25% of my time outside of work enhancing my career.
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    I spend about 15-20 hours a week outside of work on studying up on new technology or working on projects at home. I usually work when everyone else asleep!!!

How do I do it?

Java!

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    When I was starting out I used to spent alot of time at home. Now, I try to stay off the computer, I hate even checking the weather online.
  • Options
    rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    one of my main concerns in life is becoming someone who lives to work. I think work should come 2nd to family/friends/life however we are all facing times of increasing workloads, debts, higher living costs, even the age of retirment has gone up and will proberly go up again in next 30 years or so, I really love IT but I dont want to let it take over my life, I think its acceptable to do certs, further education etc- that kind of stuff I dont mind however I am not keen on being "on call" or working late etc.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    After reading a few about the guy in England that was still working at age 100 I would say that your lot have already upped the retirement age substantially mate. :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I've been slacking lately, and not doing any studying, or work outside of work.

At some point I'll start again, but I'll most likely never get to the level I was at once, studying for 2-3 hours each evening. I have too many other things to do now, and friends/family are just as important to me as work.
  • Options
    tweakingittweakingit Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tend to spend at least 5+ hours on the computer at home each night, many nights much more. You cant take networks down in the peak of buisness hours. i set aside the weekends for everything else.
    The life of IT will allways be 24/7.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Itudy for certs at home...usually an hour a night and as I get clsoer to sitting I'll do say 100 practice questions a day. I consider this something for me not work.

I do some research at home if were rollnig out a new app or upgrading a program etc but, I really try and keep work and home life seperate as much as possiable.

luckily i'm an admin in a small company and supprot less thna 10 severs and only 50 users. good place to learn