Linksys Wireless-B BEFW11S4 [Problems]

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone on here has the same router. I am having many problems with this stupid thing. Everyday I have to reset it because it loses the internet connection, plus it loses the wireless connection.

I have tried updating the firmware, that stopped it for about 2 weeks. Now the bloody thing has started it's tricks.

I usually have to reset it 3 - 5 time a day now.

I think the thing has just about gone out on me. Would anyone recommend a new router? Plus, I have the linksys wireless cards in a laptop and PC, would they work with a D-Link or other brand?

If anyone has this router, and has fixed the problem, please let me know. This is really bugging me.

Cheers,
Jamie
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I typically use Linksys stuff but haven't used that model that I recall. My last one was the WRT54GS and WRT54G.

Linksys has generally helpful tech support, have you contacted them?

Also, are you certain your ISP isn't part of the problem? I had Comcr@P cable for too long before I just **** them completely and got service that works.

Do you have your router attached to a UPS to ensure it is getting a clean electrical singal? Sags in power could be part of the problem.

And YES, you should be able to mix/match Routers and NICs.

****EDIT - because I cannot type today and typed USB for UPS icon_redface.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Have you changed channels to eliminate a new neighbor with a walk around phone on 2.8GHz, also replacing the isolation strip to make sure that you are not suffering from electrical noise?
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Did you d/l the latest firmware
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't contacted their tech support yet. I think I will probably do that on Tuesday.

I have changed a few settings to make sure that there is no electrical noise / interference.

So far is hasn't crashed since I done those updates.

And Yes, I have downloaded the latest firmware.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    If your wireless clients support 802.11g or 802.11a, then I'd recommend junking your old, slow BEFW11S4 in favor of a faster WRT54GS. There are several really good free firmware distributions for the WRT54G and GS which really add some major features to your access point, including boosting the RF power output. I use the DD-WRT firmware in my GS, and its VPN server implementation is great.