Converting an XP pro retail to XP Pro OEM?

Hi everyone... Just got my New Dell Insipiron 6400. A beauty:

Intel Duo 2Ghz... 2 GB RAM... 80 GB HDD :) God I'm going to kick this notebook ass :):):):)

So, my question: The notebook came with an XP Pro... in spanish (in my country we do speak that language icon_wink.gif .)The thing is that I always use all software in english and I want to keep it that way (I have trouble undestanding the OS in my native language).

I have a friend of mine that has an original XP Pro retail in english and I was thinking if there is a way to use boths CDs to get a Win XP Pro in english but OEM.

Is there a way to do this? Maybe mixing some files from my OEM cd with the retail one (setup.ini, oembios.bin, winnt.sif, etc)?

I called Dell for a CD change, and they said "NO WAY". The other way to do this is to buy a retail... Now, I would hate to do that!!!

The other thing is: Is this actually legal? I mean, I do have an original OEM windows version... I am just "changing the language"... I won't be using a software with no license.

Well, any ideas, are welcome! Saludos!!

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this what you want to do?

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/win2k/setup/changeUI.mspx

Have you tried the Regional and Languages options from the control panel?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well, you could contact MS to verify.

OEM is just that....for the Original Equipment Manufacturer. So Dell can install an OEM license. Computer Shops building their own systems can install OEM. However, an OEM license though less costly is not licensed to be used to replace an existing OS after the fact.

So, I would agree with Dell that your solution would be to purchase a Retail copy...despite how lame it may sound, that is how the licensing EULA reads.

I would recommend you do try Sprkyrk's suggestion first. My understanding is how this is designed to be used, though haven't tried it for myself.

Let us know if Sprkymrk's post helps you out! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you not just change all of the language settings?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Hi everyone,

I will try sprkymrk suggestion. Looks like it could do it.

Still, as a "lab test" experience I will try and see which files are different for the OEM vs Retail version.

It seems that there is a setupini.ini in i386 folder. Also win.sif file...

Regarding OEM, the Hp and Dell WinXP OS comes with a SPL. The OS queries the BIOS of the system for a string... if it is there, then no activation / registration is required.

I will check that out when I have time :)

Thanks for your suggestion!!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hi everyone,

I will try sprkymrk suggestion. Looks like it could do it.

Still, as a "lab test" experience I will try and see which files are different for the OEM vs Retail version.

It seems that there is a setupini.ini in i386 folder. Also win.sif file...

Regarding OEM, the Hp and Dell WinXP OS comes with a SPL. The OS queries the BIOS of the system for a string... if it is there, then no activation / registration is required.

I will check that out when I have time :)

Thanks for your suggestion!!

There are licenses that are BIOS LOCKED. Lenovo uses this so I wouldn't be surprised if others do as well. OEM vs. Retail comes down to licensing whether or not you find a file or two different I couldn't say and I suppose that is something you could look at, but the EULA will be where should see a more interesting comparision.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?