How long did it take you to know enough to pass?

webslngrwebslngr Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
To those who have passed.....

I have studied Linux for about four years now and read many books similar to the ones I'm reading to prepare (Sybex and Linux+ In Depth).

Some of this stuff is new to me but I have a good handle on the basics and seem to be doing extremely well on the end of chapter questions.

How long would you say one has to study to fully grasp enough to pass? Also are there any sites with free exams? Practice Exams were what got me through A+ and Network+.

Thanks...

Comments

• TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You say you have been "studying" linux for the last 4 years, have you not actually been using it? I first installed Linux on my laptop 4/5 years back, have installed numerous distributions and spent a lot of time with it. I haven't ever booked the Linux+ exam, but I'd expect I could read the Sybex book once, and pass it on the first attempt.

(Maybe with a bit of extra review over some command syntax for things like Lilo or Cron)
  • webslngrwebslngr Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's exacly the answer I was looking for. I feel the same way.

I've installed probably installed and used 8 or nine different distros.
  • TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    webslngr wrote:
    That's exacly the answer I was looking for. I feel the same way.

I've installed probably installed and used 8 or nine different distros.

You will probably be fine for it then. CompTIA exams aren't difficult (I won't do another after N+, don't feel they are that valuable) and if you have the necessary experience L+ should be really easy. The LPI exams are meant to be somewhat more difficult :)