Options

IP Address

Hi,

Some help please if possible.

I want to setup a DC with AD for a set of home labs. I dont want to have a static IP though. How hard is this to change/update on the server when the ISP allocates me another IP address??

Also as it may become a DHCP as well, in the past I then lost internet connectivity. Do I need to install 2 NIC's and keep on LAN side and the other WAN? With just a fixed IP for the LAN one?

Any step by step would help.

Many thanks. :D
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I changed the ip address of my DC a few days ago and used this article doing it. Worked perfectly.

http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci924473,00.html
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I dont want to have a static IP though

Why? A Domain Controller generally speaking should always have a static IP addy assigned to it.
    How hard is this to change/update on the server when the ISP allocates me another IP address??

Easy but why do you need an additional IP address? Are you setting up a web server or something?
    Also as it may become a DHCP as well

Do you mean DHCP server or it has a DHCP address assigned?
    Do I need to install 2 NIC's and keep on LAN side and the other WAN? With just a fixed IP for the LAN one?

Maybe.... if you wanna setup ICS or NAT for your lab.
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Why? A Domain Controller generally speaking should always have a static IP addy assigned to it.

If it were a real site then OK but Im swapping PC's daily to normal one.

Easy but why do you need an additional IP address? Are you setting up a web server or something?

No when the ISP renews my IP address then my servers IP would change if it were dynamic

DHCP server for my LAN
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    If it were a real site then OK but Im swapping PC's daily to normal one.

I have no idea what you meant by that. If you have multiple pcs in your lab, then go to BestBuy and get an inexpensive broadband router that can be your PC with a public dynamic IP, and nat it to your local network. Then your server can have one NIC, one static IP, and it can be the DHCP server instead of the broadband router (be sure to turn off DHCP on the router).

You COULD have one nic be assigned an IP via DHCP from the ISP, but you could run into problems every time the IP changed, though it is less of a problem now than it was in early W2K days.
    In order to run DHCP though, you do need a static IP, and since you are not to be the DHCP for the ISP, you would need another NIC that can have a static private address and farm out addresses to the LAN.

Also, unless your ISP allows you more than one IP, you would need another network for your other machines to connect to the DC.