Options

NEW A+ 2003 track

zeekabalzeekabal Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
the new realise of the A+ will be launched in november 2003 , relying on windowsME and windows XP instead of the 98 and 2000 , wht do u all think abt this new track

Comments

• Options
    carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm just going to try and take my OS before november then. So does this mean that 9x will be a lot less covered? I imagine most tech problems are going to be in 9x.
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    ME really isn't that different from 9x, so it won't be replacing it, so much as it will be an add on. But I'm getting mine over with before november. There are some changes to the hardware exam as well, so it's best to get it all over with.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    Gremlin77Gremlin77 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've found out that they've changed the testing pattern as well (09/12/2003)
    They are no longer in the adaptive format that could have taken a reasonably short period of time and were scored out of 1300...
    They are now linear...(question after question), and they suggest a 2 hour time period. CompTIA says that there are no more than 90 questions per test.

Just though you all should know that...if you didn't already... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    tiggertigger Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am taking the OS Friday icon_eek.gif . I will let you all know what it is like, how many questions etc.

As for the Actual Q's, Your on your own........ icon_twisted.gif

Remember, Cheating is a lack of desire to learn, which leads to Ignorance.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    imho, it's likely that win9x (which includes win me, by the way) will have to be learned in the same depth as before (as will nt), though there may not be as many questions on them to allow for the new features available in xp (firewall, etc).

around the time i did my operating systems exam, myself and those in communities i visited at the time, remarked on the number of windows nt questions. i guess some thought that since microsoft had released xp and that windows 2000 appeared to be the most wide-spread operating system in businesses, that the nt content seemed too high.

the idea behind the exam covering operating systems that are one the way out is to allow for the fact that techs may come across such machines in their career. the obvious out-of-date thing to learn for a+ is the though shalt not share irq thing. just because you have the latest computer with the latest operating system in your home does not mean that you will come across some firm running win95a on the clients and nt4 as their server.

windows me may have been released around the time of windows 2000 and have features that are in, or developed further in, xp, but it is still essentially win9x with a few more bells and whistles.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    O.K. I passed it. Alot of XP and ME questions. Also file and print sharing was expressed quite a few times.

What I found interesting about the whole thing was when I registered for the exam (this past Monday) if you were in the U.S. You HAD to take a Linear exam, while overseas you had a choice.

Here is alittle question for everyone. Is Comptia planning on switching back to an adaptive exam once the 2003 objectives are implemented icon_confused.gif: That might be helpful to people that are just now getting started icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    OOPPS icon_redface.gif I almost forgot, the test was 80 questions icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahhh I think not. My contact tells me that there is a problem at some overseas test centres with supplying the exam - here in New Zealand ofr instance our exam comes from VUE Australia and I believe that there are problems with various places just plain failing to be able to load the test on their machines (probably because they are old dungers).
    As far as adaptive testing goes I think that failed experiment is not past us and hopefully never to be repeated.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007