DIY RAS Server

endersftdendersftd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have any experience turning a Windows box into a dial-up RAS server? For example, I have a cable modem connection that I route to four or five other computers in a LAN at my house. I woud like to be able to use one of those computers on the LAN to listen on our phone line so that if I were out and about and needed internet and only had a phone jack, instead of paying and dialing into an ISP, I could just dial into my home computer and access the internet that way.

I've seen a lot of material about sharing a dialup connection among many computers, but that isn't what I'm trying to accomplish. People on Computing.net haven't been very helpful. If any one has any thoughts or opinions (or links to a how-to), I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

EDIT:
I'm also aware that this kind of setup might require a Windows Server flavor. If this is the case, let me know.
"We will rule over all this land, and we will call it...'This Land.'"

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    endersftd wrote:
    EDIT:
    I'm also aware that this kind of setup might require a Windows Server flavor. If this is the case, let me know.
    This is the case. You set up RRAS and configure a modem on the server. I have set this up on a server at work with a small modem bank, but the numbers were dedicated to those modems and not used for phones. I'm not sure if that will add a small level of complexity to your setup or not. It's been a couple of years since I did that.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • endersftdendersftd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see. That explains why I was having such a hard time finding anything for doing that with Windows XP. :P I'll try to get a-hold of a Windows Server version and see if I can get it going this time. Just knowing for a fact that I'll need to use a Windows Server will let me know what to search for if I run into problems.

Thanks for your help! You've followed my posts all over the forums. It's always nice to hear from you. :)
    "We will rule over all this land, and we will call it...'This Land.'"
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your welcome. icon_cool.gif

When you start RRAS it will have a wizard pop up and ask what kind of setup you want to do. Pretty easy as I recall.
    All things are possible, only believe.