Desktop displayed over Wireless signal to TV?

TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here's one that I just cannot seem to solve. I am looking for a device (price does not matter) that will be able to take my laptop and display my active desktop onto a TV without a cable.

Does anyone know of any device that is capable of taking a wireless signal and then displaying it to the TV. So basically what I want to do is Remote Assistance with the TV sending the request so to say ... lol? I don't know if that makes sense, but the only stuff I can find are Wireless media streamers that will display video and music.

Another way of explaining this is I want to give a presentation from my laptop but display it on the TV over Wireless. I can't seem to find any devices that will do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's funny because after replying to Keenon's post I was browsing this website for other gadgets and ran across these. The ones I saw here require a RCA connection so you would have to find another solution for the connection.

Disclaimer - I have never ordered anything from this site so I can't vouch for their validity.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm sure there're tons of EXPENSIVE ways of doing this....but this is what I would do.

Get yourself a Dell Axim X50/51V. Dell VGA out cable, Load your presentation and connect to your tv/projector?

onsale now: 299
    http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=CADHS1&l=en&oc=OCX51416BUN_RBP_DHS

Cheers.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TeKniques wrote:
    Here's one that I just cannot seem to solve. I am looking for a device (price does not matter) that will be able to take my laptop and display my active desktop onto a TV without a cable.

Does anyone know of any device that is capable of taking a wireless signal and then displaying it to the TV. So basically what I want to do is Remote Assistance with the TV sending the request so to say ... lol? I don't know if that makes sense, but the only stuff I can find are Wireless media streamers that will display video and music.

Another way of explaining this is I want to give a presentation from my laptop but display it on the TV over Wireless. I can't seem to find any devices that will do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :D

Are you talking about a slingbox kind of device? (www.slingbox.com) ?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Silver Bullet, thanks for the site. I think this is what I am looking for:

http://www.smarthome.com/7743B.html

I don't know how reliable that is, but from all the other results I can't seem to find much. I think I'll try it, it's not that expensive.

Big Horn,

I was trying to eliminate the step of having a user upload their presentation or whatever it would be to a 3rd device, but thanks for the suggestion.
    jlhct wrote:
    Are you talking about a slingbox kind of device? (www.slingbox.com) ?

Actually, what I am looking for is the other way around. I want to take my computer screen and output it to the TV via Wireless. That slingbox is pretty cool though.
  • jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh ok, well I'm glad you got the information you needed! :)

I think I may buy the slingbox thing myself LOL
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Thing is, a TV doesn't have much resolution. It isn't designed for the sharp contrasts and sharp object edges. It's fine for a presentation that has big objects, but not much good for a standard desktop.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Danman32 wrote:
    Thing is, a TV doesn't have much resolution. It isn't designed for the sharp contrasts and sharp object edges. It's fine for a presentation that has big objects, but not much good for a standard desktop.

I realize that, but I'm not the one that wants to do this I'm just given the task to make it work. icon_mad.gif

What I'm starting to get concerned about is that my existing Wireless LAN is going to interfere with the signal from the other Wireless unit that is supposed to do what I want it to do. Do you think a 2.4 gHz band is sufficient to not be interfered with by the existing Wireless? I can't seem to find any 5.8 gHz ones that will do what this one will do:

http://www.smarthome.com/7743B.html

Thanks.