Options

Sybex or Cisco Press?

cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
I'm planning on starting on my CCNA in 2-3 weeks. Since the test is changing on September 30th to 640-801, I'm kind of worried about the reference that will be out for that test. I've looked at both the Sybex book and the Cisco Press book.

Sybex
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782143113/qid=1063145976/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8009489-1557743?v=glance&s=books

Cisco Press
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1587200953/qid=1063145275/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-8009489-1557743?v=glance&s=books

I know that both are very good resources, but I need to know which one you guys think will be the best. I await your comments.

Cheeblie

Comments

• Options
    Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BOTH!! You gona need both, all i gotta say. :D
  • Options
    seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    i agree you need both ive just finished studyin for CCNA 640 607 hey whats the diff between the 607 and 801? is there a huge diff? if i dont manage to pass before sep 30th will studyin for the 801 be a big deal?
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    I'm not really sure what the differences are between the two tests.

640-607
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/10/wwtraining/certprog/testing/current_exams/640-607.html

640-801
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/10/wwtraining/certprog/testing/current_exams/640-801.html

Maybe you can tell me the difference, because I don't feel like sorting out all that info. Hehe.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Although Todd Lammle is the most popular tech author... both include a router sim, I like the test engine from Cisco press a lot, and it contains 500 practice questions... I'd go for the Cisco press... or both icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    i cant really see a differnce but i am very tired lol
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    Cisco has decided to become a little more vague with their exam objectives for all their exams, but for CCNA almost nothing changed (besides a new question pool and sims most probably.) There is a bigger focus on routing protocols, and you might get some basics about IPv6.

The 640-607 study material, such as practice exams and study guides on the web can still be used.

I'm going to separate the CCNA material we have according to the three new exams and will add a whole lot of stuff...

icon_idea.gif the INTRO beta exam is still available. It costs $50... that plus $100 for the ICND exam is still $25 more than just the 801 exam, but:
    - if you do pass it, you can concentrate on the more difficult topics.
    - if you don't pass it and plan to prepare for the 801 exam, you've had a nice introduction to Cisco exams and the simulator, i.o.w the best 'practice' for only $50 ;)
  • Options
    so theres not much for me to worry about then, i heard there are a few more topics like VLSMs and supernetting? what is that exactly and its not on 607 is it icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    It is on 607, but probably more detailed on the 801 exam.

Variable-Length Subnet Masks are invented to deal with the shortage of IP addresses. I'll safe the long explanation for a TechNote, but it allows you to use network 10.0.0.0 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 instead of the default class A address 255.0.0.0. This means 10.0.1.0 is a different network (subnet) than 10.0.2.0. This is actually Classless inter domain routing (CIDR), the word Variable comes from the fact that you can use different subnet masks in a subnetted network. For example, if two LANs (routers) are connected to eachother with a point-to-point WAN link, without VLSM you could assign LAN1 192.168.1.0, and LAN2 192.168.2.0 and the WAN 192.168.3.0. But that would mean you would use an entire class C network (192.168.3.0) = 255 addresses of which only 2 are needed (one for the WAN link at router in LAN1 and one for the router in LAN2) instead, with VLSM you could assign a class C network address subnetted with a mask of 255.255.255.252 allowing for 2 host addresses... but also 64 subnets... with VLSM the remaining 63 subnets can be assigned as one subnet instead of 63 seperate ones...

... sleeping.gif I hope I'm making sense here... I need some sleep

Oh yeah... supernetting: the 'opposite of subnetting'. With subnetting you divide networks into smaller networks by stealing bits from the host portion. Supernetting allows you to combine for example 4 Class C addresses as 1 large subnet (uhm... supernet ;)) by stealing bits from the network portion of an IP address. E.g.:

192.168.1.0 255.255.252.0 is one network from 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.3.255
  • Options
    ... I forgot an essential part: to be able to use VLSM, the routing protocol needs to support it. Meaning the routing protocols must carry the subnet mask in the routing updates. These routing protocols are known as classless protocols:.

OSPF, IGRP, RIPv2, IS-IS, BGP

The classfull routing protocols (hence those that doNOTsupport VLSM) are:

RIPv1
    IGRP
    EGP
  • Options
    All of that sounds so interesting! icon_lol.gif I can't wait until I can start learning about it. I'm already beginning to get pretty sick of Microsoft exams. I want to learn more about networks! Oh, and I've decided to get the Cisco Press book. A friend of mine has a Sybex book (3rd Edition) for 640-607, but I think that will serve as a good second reference. As soon as I finish up MCSE:Security, then I'll begin to worry about purchasing my routers and switch. Hopefully Webmaster can help me out on that one. icon_wink.gif

Cheeblie