Options

different location of files

I'm using fedora core 5 to prepare for Linux+, but i found out the location of files in my system is not like the books descript. Like, they say lilo.conf is at /etc, the HOWTO files are at /usr/doc/HOWTO, etc. can anyone tell me why this happens?

Comments

• Options
    blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont' even know you can install lilo in fedora core using the default install.

I don't think it's such big deal with it. If it's not in /etc it's in /boot. Even if there's some difference, I dont' think it's very far off.

And most likely the lilo.conf is a symbolic link to a file in the /boot directory.

good luck
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    @madonion

Fedora 5 , is a new distro from 2006.Your book's arent from 2006 I guees , and were made with those distro's and those configuration.
    The location of same files has change , you'll see that , in matter of security or i don't know.
    Read carefuly , Linux+ was especialy created for Fedora 5 ? or some Redhat ? that's way the location is a bit diferent depdens on the distro.
    And how blackzone told you , it's not a big diference altough , there are many link's and if your smart you should figure it out , altough your a begginer only .
    LPI Level 1 is the same , those book's are made on a specific distro and that's way when the book's get older come this misconfiguration's.

Good luck ! icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)