Options

Network Administrator Job

I have a dilemma here. Last year I interviewed for a net admin job for a Credit Union. I submitted my resume just for the heck of it, because i have no network administration experience beyond doing things in school labs and home labs. I currently hold 3 certs, but they are not Microsoft anything. During the interview I blantantly informed them that I don't have practical business experience with Network Administration, but would bust my you know what to learn and grow with the company. I made it clear, without downing my abilities, that I wasn't for sure why they even picked my resume given that I only have Help Desk experience. I didn't end up getting the job because it was outsourced, according to the rejection letter, but they had a lot of positives in the letter including that they were really impressed with my interview but had chosen a different route in regards to that position. A year later, the job posted again, I applied and they called me and scheduled another interview. They stated that they have a new IS director and now they are looking to re establish the position. My concern is this, I still do not have any network admin experience. Am I over my head? Should I call them and politely reject the interview. I am a fast learner but .... I am stumped. HELP !!!!!

Comments

• Options
    ukeuke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If someone offers you a job interview, TAKE IT, even if you think it's over your head. Who knows, they might be willing to train someone who has a good groundwork for tech skills, and bring you along from there.

Never, ever, reject an interview offer (unless it's waaay beneath your level, or if it's one of those scam companies like "American Life Insurance" etc icon_wink.gif )
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I would say go to the interview but make sure they understand you have no real network admin experience. If they are gonna train you then that would be great but I would seriously consider if you get a job offer and you are the main man. Network Administration is a great responsibility, I wouldn't want to responsible for all of the companies data and operations and not knowing what I was doing for sure. Network Administration is easier when things are humming along but when you have a major failure someone who knows what they are doing needs to be heading it up.

Good luck and I hope they offer it to you and want to train you, that would be a great opportunity.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I also want to include that the person who called me back definitely remembered me so it's not as if they had me mixed up with another candidate. She blatantly said she remembers interviewing me and how I met their CFO and everything, but they at that time decided to not hire a person for the position at all and outsource it to a firm. I know network admin is a big responsibility, but I am being honest with them in detailing my experience level. They know up front that I am a novice.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    I apologize, I was in a bad mood just now. Take the chance, the worst that can happen is that you don't get the job. You will learn from your interviews, You have to start somewhere. There is a big chance that you may get it, they are showing interest in you.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take the plunge. No one ever regrets having tried and failed. It's not trying that people look back on with regret. As long as you are careful and know when to call for help you will be okay.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am currently a Net Admin and I just wanted to give you some hope that when I got this job I did not have my MCSA yet. I did have my MCP and MCDST already along with the CompTIA certs. However, my previous job before this one involved a lot of admin responsibilities so it was not all new to me.

In my interview I made it clear that I was not a Network Admin in my prior job role and I only 'assisted' the admin with his work which benefited in my understanding of everything. I got a call back after 3 days with a job offer and all they wanted from me was to obtain my MCSE that they would pay for. It is possible to get a Net Admin job with less credentials, that is my point .. however, don't expect to make a lot of money. My starting salary was IMO very low for a Net Admin position.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    As long as you are up front and don't lie about your current skills and experience, then I wouldn't worry about getting a job offer.

But certainly take the interview.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    So far you guys are making me feel more at ease with taking the interview. I am an up front person and I don't BS when it comes to things IT related. I would hate for someone to put their entire trust into me on false pretenses. I am going to just go for it and hope for the best.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    If you tell them the truth and they happen to choose you, they obviously think you'll fit well in the position.

If they don't have faith that you can perform the job, or learn to perform the job, I seriously doubt they will offer you the position.

So I suppose what I'm saying is, take the interview AND the job, if they offer. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out, right?
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Exactly my take. If they later find you too inexperienced and they didn't provide training, that isn't your fault, as you didn't hide that fact.

But it does seem like they are keen on your potential abilities, and not your current ones.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    take it and push training ....
    if they are that interested in you then they would send you to outside training and certifications while you learn on the job.

a good way to get certifcations and not pay for them.

I've never paid for a book or test.
    and all my certifcation are in my name.
    this makes me more valuable to the company.
    and I take the certs with me if I leave ....
    rm -rf /