Options

MICA/octal

MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
Quick question. Been reading through some BCRAN material, and in regards to async modem connections I came across the term MICA (modem ISDN channel aggregation) & 8-port octal cabling; dealing with connecting multiple modems to a single router interface. I understand the technologies, but was wondering which technology is more commonplace in larger organizations. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Because that deals primarily with remote user access, neither is popular anymore. Since so many people have broadband accounts, it is common to see companies moving to the VPN solution and away from dial (either analog or ISDN).

Yankee
  • Options
    Yeah, but I'm sure some companies still incorporate dial-in remote access, because not everyone has broadband.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Not to mention backup solutions in case of failure to the main connections.
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    You don't use modems for back up links, which is what the original question asked about. If you were to choose ISDN for backup, (I have a little of that in Europe but none in the US anymore) your design would be a PRI at the core and BRI(s) at the the remote end. In one instance I even have a PRI calling a PRI for back up with the number of channels used intentionally limited.

I'm sure some places still use/allow analog dial in for users, but if they are a sizable company they use a PRI to receive the calls not a modem bank.

The original question dealt with the use of the octal cable and which technology was more common in larger companies. I standby my origianl answer.... neither is common.

Yankee
  • Options
    Ahh, ok. I got ya. Thanks for the help