Options

Just sat the 301 and sneaked through

oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
Passed with 675, approx 75%- not good but that will do.
The exam was at 11 a.m , test centre about 20 miles away so I got in the car at 10 a.m , car woudn't start, phoned a taxi which arrived quickly then sat in a traffic jam for 50 minutes. Arrived about 11.05 a.m and they still let me take the test., Phew

What a weird exam not at all what I was expecting. 100 questions 20 of which are "beta" for the new exam and therefore unmarked: these stick out like a sore thumb.
Example:-
You are working in a computer repair shop a customer gets very angry and leaves the shop but you notice that he leaves 10 dollars on the counter, what should you do ?
Call the police
pocket the money
try to contact the customer and return the dosh
put the money in a charity box

All of the Beta question where non technical but then so was most of the rest of the exam. I have spent hours on scsi types, cable lenghts etc but not a single scsi question. The same with networking nothing on segment lenght, transmission speeds. A lot of questions on laser printer troubleshooting, along with stuff I have never heard of
Example:-
name the emerging network technology that has a range of only 30 feet ?
It then lists bluetooth and stuff i hadn't heard of therefore I went for bluetooth.
Health and safety questions like a colleague get a chemical substance in his eyes blah blah/ what next . One of the answers was the MSDS (material data sheet) so I choose that ,Wriststrap came up ,couple on UPS.
4/5 on IRQs, comm ports, also ports in general.
I finished with about 38 minutes spare but as this is the first exam Iv'e taken since my driving test thirty years ago I was eager to see the result so I didn't go back over my answers. I might have scored higher if I had taken the time . I would strongly reccomend this to anyone taking the exam.

Software in in couple of weeks.
Try til it hurts then try some more

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    That money left question could have been graded. Has to do with customer service.
    I've heard of 'interesting' questions like these. I think I even saw one or two when I took the test 'long, long ago, in a land not so far away.
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Congrats on the pass!

Get ready for more questions like that on the OS test. I had at least 25 questions about stuff that is not covered anywhere in the official objectives for the OS test, but most of them were pretty common sense.
  • Options
    wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    You know what, when I take the test, if I fail it based off of questions that were not covered in the domains listed, then I'm probably going to hire a lawyer and sue comptia :)

That sounds ludicrous to me. Why don't they just ask you what your favorite color is and how it relates to your interest in the IT world....
    Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    wwpranma wrote:
    You know what, when I take the test, if I fail it based off of questions that were not covered in the domains listed, then I'm probably going to hire a lawyer and sue comptia :)

Relax.

Just about everyone gets some 'beta' questions and it is clearly stated those questions are not scored. And there is no way to really know if you received those questions or not....the agreement you side when you take your exam is worth reading ;) you cannot discuss your questions :)

Besides, even with a lawyer, I'd bet (if I were a betting person) that CompTia has their lawyers double and triple check the scoring procedure that there is no way to ever know (except for them) which questions you scored correct and which you missed.

A+ has the lowest accepted passable score, so know your material based on their objectives and take the exam....then move on. If the exam will not benefit your career, skip it and go on to a different exam.

If you fail, you do have the right to appeal and have the exam hand-scored by them, but that process take some time. I have not done this, but I can't imagine they make it their first priority the next business day. I'll guess they'll keep you waiting a week or two.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    Oh I know. And I agree, but I tend to get heavily sarcastic and cynical when i see stuff like that happen. As far as a carreer goes, this is just the first step. I'm going to use this to HELP me get some sort of entry level position. I need experience, and I've been trying to get hired on somewhere, ANYWHERE, but nobody feels like hiring me right now. So I gotta give this a shot, plus it'll look good on my resume right alongside a network+ MSCE+ and lynux+ plus whatever cert's I plan on achieving. I just need experience and I'm hoping this will be a stepping stone in the right direction.
    Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.