odd FTP question

amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
Hi,

I am trying to setup FTP to a remote site. I can get through to the FTP server ( its running WWW's and FTP - WWW's are ok ) and browse its files ok, however upon trying to open them ( jpeg's, word docs etc ) my pc hangs ( and others too when I try it ). I can save to the FTP location no problem . I have the firewalls on ( with port 20 and 80 as exceptions ) but must be missing another port as if I turn the firewall off on the remote FTP server I can open the docs up no problem... icon_confused.gif

What am I missing??? icon_redface.gif

Many thanks
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think ftp use 2 port. check google

p.s. just check google it says ftp use port 21, not sure if you make a typo about 20.
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    have both 21 and 20 open on firewall.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Maybe I am not understanding the situation correctly. You have a remote host with a FTP server setup, you're using a FTP client to connect to it and transfer files, right?

So where are you opening ports? It has to be the remote location.
    Is this a software firewall? Is there a NAT router in the remote site? Did you foward the port on the router?

Which FTP client are you using that's causing the hanging? Have you tried to reinstall the software, or try another?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    hope this clarifies

im using ultra vnc to access the remote ftp server for administration

only the 2003 server built in firewall, no routers. I can save a word doc from my works pc onto my FTP server with no probs ( firewall is on ), however its when you try to open a document word hangs.

If I have no firewall on on my 2003 FTP server I can open docs up from my works PC fine

Hope that makes sense
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Okay....this is the first time I've heard of UltraVNC.
    But I use remoteAnywhere, and RemoteAdministrator. I'm assumming it's the same idea.

It sounds like you're using the 'ftp' server from ultravnc? If that's the case, the port LIEKLY isnt 21, because ultravnc, probably like remoteadministrator, and others uses their own port for file transfer.

You may have to look at the options/settings window and find out, and port forward that specific port, sometimes could be a range of ports too.

good luck.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    An issue can occur when you have NAT or firewall on both ends of the connection. For the data transfer, a dynamic port connection is made. In one mode (active I think) the server originates from 21, and connects to the port that the client selects. Problem is, the client's firewall will block a high port connection it did not originate. In the other mode (passive I believe), the client originates the connection, but to a port that the server selects, which the server side firewall may be blocking.
    thought of the client firewall but cant be that as its whether the servers firewall is off or on that decides whether it works or not.

very odd
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On the server's Windows Firewall, go to the Advanced Tab, then highlight the appropriate network connection and click Settings.
    On the Services Tab, select FTP Server.

See if that works better than just opening the ports.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    open ftp-data or use passive mode on the server.
    rm -rf /
    sprkymrk wrote:
    On the server's Windows Firewall, go to the Advanced Tab, then highlight the appropriate network connection and click Settings.
    On the Services Tab, select FTP Server.

See if that works better than just opening the ports.

YOU DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks to all suggestions!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your welcome amyamandaallen.
    Be sure and lock down NTFS permissions on the FTP directory.
    All things are possible, only believe.