Anyone has a GPS device? looking to buy one, any suggestions

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
Looking to buy one of those GPS devices to use in my car, i have no idea about GPS so im asking here for some advice and suggestions. So any ideas which one i should get?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Nope, I use a map or compass....and if things get really crazy....I'll stop and ask directions :P

I know some people who tried out a few programs when it was pretty new (couple years back) and weren't real happy back then because they felt it was too inaccurate for their needs.

I do now know of anyone using the newer models of today, so things may be better. Generally from what I've read, the more expensive models have better accuracy...10' vs. 100' off from some of the cheaper. But no first hand knowledge to tell you. Sorry icon_sad.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Djmario30Djmario30 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I told you from your first post get tom tom it's the greatest gps system ever invented! icon_cool.gif
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    The GPS themselves are quite accurate, but what they display is only as acurate as the map data.

My car has built-in GPS, so it can use ded-reconing along with GPS to fine tune your position. It also compares your turns and if it first thinks you aren't driving on any roads, but the map shows a road really close to where it thinks you are that seems to be what you are driving on, it will snap you to that road. Which becomes really interesting when you have close parallel roads, such as service/frontage roads.
    But the map data could be a little more up to date.
  • SleepsalotSleepsalot Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use my old lap top and the Microsoft streets and trips with GPS. It work great and is portable can use with any vehicle. But you do need a power inverter. Cost for all of it was $350.00 for me. You get a much larger screen and it is quite accurate. It does not need a power house machine.
    Wayne :):)
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A guy that i work with has a dell axim with the gps bundle that he has been very happy with.