Options

+3 / -3 voltage not required?

wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
So i decided to start reading up on some of the other study guides and get their two cents, see if they have anything to add. Started with proprofs. Mind you, they had maybe one thing I didn't get served to me with meyers regarding alu fpu in the cpu, but at the end of the first section assessment, one of the questions asked what voltages will a power supply provide. They're saying that +3 / -3 is not an acceptable awnser. I've been told otherwise by meyers, (or maybe I'm just hallucinating). Anyone wanna take a crack at this one for me here.
Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.

Comments

• Options
    BrandonB23132000BrandonB23132000 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Todays motherboards require 3.3V because newer CPUs use 3.3 volts. Older motherboards dont need 3.3V because their CPUs use 5V instead.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    My AMD 5x86 that was pin compatable with a 486 required that the motherboard be able to supply 3.3V. Since power supplies didn't provide 3.3V at that time, the MB had to convert 5V down to 3.3V.

Do recall that the test is using 2003 technology. I am pretty sure though that even then, ATX power supplies had 3.3V output. AT power supplies do not.
  • Options
    wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    Oh well I understand that. Obviously the 3.3 requirement exists. I'm just curious as to how it's going to look on the test as far as if the 3.3 volts is considered required or just required sometimes and if it's applicable on the test.
    Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.