Options

best route to MCSE

hello everyone, i am currently taking MCSA track but want to go fo rthe MCSE route, which exams do i need to take and which route is fastest? I want to take the network+ and A+ and heard that one of these i can use as an elective?

can anyone clarify as i am used to cisco ways but new to the microsoft way of certification

thanku
Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    The 'best' route, and I mean it icon_wink.gif , for MCSE is when you clamp down seven exams and walk away with three 'premier' certifications. That is 7 exams giving you MCSE, MCDBA and MCSA. This is possible by taking both SQL Server exams as electives while fullfilling all the other requirements for Core Design and Core OS. Having 3 cert's in your portfolio with seven exams isn't alltogether easy, but it certainly is worth it.

Take a look at the MS site. icon_lol.gif

http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcse/requirements.asp

2lbs
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    hmmm crackin idea but im poo at programming. Great way to hit 2 birds with 1 stone, if there are any ormithologists in here thats just a figure of speech! icon_lol.gif
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A+/N+ combo will count as 1 elective for the MCSA, but will not count as an elective for the MCSE.

Which MCSE track are you interested in? 2000 or 2003?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    im on the proper training courses for the MCSA in cluding the 2152 for the 210 and 215 and the other 2 courses im tkaing soon for the 216 and 218 i think and im gettin them for free! Its because im doing a degree there so i get the courses for free. What i want to ask is i get a welcome pack with each course and a big chunky blue folder with all the study for the course and the evaulation copies for the OSs and i have a practice network at home now ready so u can say im becoming prepared lol but do you know how wel these courses cover the exams? Will i have to purchase books? read more etc or willl these 5 day courses suffice?

im new to microsoft as im really a cisco boy!

thankyou for your help
  • Options
    well as i am on the courses that i said in the last post im goin to go for 2000 and upgrade l8a on. Im not bothering with net+ cos im about ready to take CCNA which is above that. Ill just take the MS route now cos im bored of cisco. I evetnually want CCNP but i want to concentrate on MCSA which is the course im on then build on that for MCSE

what du u think of the 2152 courses etc that MS recommend? Its all hands on etc with loads of notes in a big blue MS folder for each course.
    Dont know what else i need to add to be ready for the exams tho?
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I personally, do not like the mocs and have taken 2151, 2152, 2126. I would much rather pick up a sybex book. I would pick up the sybex books anyway because I feel that they cover the exam better than the mocs did.

Just my opinion.

I haven't tried the MS press books yet but probably when I start to prepare for 216, I'll grab one to read along with my sybex book. From what i've heard thats the "beast" and all extra knowledge from all points of view will be welcome.
  • Options
    seth223uk wrote:
    hmmm crackin idea but im poo at programming. Great way to hit 2 birds with 1 stone, if there are any ormithologists in here thats just a figure of speech! icon_lol.gif

well it ain't programming. MCDBA is Database Administration. nice stuff. goes well with networking. and yes,... it is killing 2 birds with 1 stone (make sure u don't miss ;)

2lbs.
  • Options
    what do you mean by mocs? According to microsoft the 2152 2153 2126 are the best way to prepare for the exams in addition to the ms press books? What do the rest of you think?
  • Options
    MOC is like a short form for both Microsoft Official Cirriculum books and courses. I tend to find more detailed and clearly explained info in the MOC books. I like using MOC books (i..e. MSPress books) together with Transcender prep exams for preparation. They won't let you down. that's for sure ;)

2lbs.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    MOC = Microsoft Official Curriculum, it is the course material you receive at a MS course.

The MS training kits contain almost the same information as the MOCs....

I think, that with most MS exams, it is very doable if you get the training kit and get hands-on with the software (thru evaluation versions for example). I've been to a MS course once, for MS proxy 2.0, I didn't show up the second day because it was a complete waste of time...

I think the official courses are useful when you don't have a computer... or two ;)