Options

Resources you have used to pass the tests.

toolmantoolman Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_confused.gif: I have been using Mike Meyer's "All in One A+ certification" book, along with his testing spftware. How prepared will I be? Will I need additional source material? If so, what do you suggest??

You're input would be greatly appreciated. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    I used the Mike Myer's A+ book and the book came with the Total Seminars pratice exams.

I can tell you that these Total Seminars pratice exams are totally worthless. The questions are too easy.

You need more pratice exams.

For starters take the TechExams pratice exam.

I used the Transenders OS exam and I found the questions to be good. Though the Transender exam is not free.

What is your experience with computers?
  • Options
    Not very much. I've built a few, and networked 2 in my home. I don't have a great deal of hands on experience. I'm trying to find the best resources (a the most reasonable prices icon_wink.gif ).

Any that you can suggest would be great.

I appreciate your point of view.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    meyers' all-in-one book is considered to be one of the best. i didn't use it, however, so i cannot tell you were weaker areas may exist. i used examcram and thought it covered all areas well, though i found a few errors concerning laser printers (i have no idea if this was rectified in the lastest edition).

i would suggest that non-exam specific book(s) could be bought for some things that may be required later in your working/certification life. i bought books on windows 2000 and networking as i intednded to do network+ next and go on to the microsoft exams.

these books may go into greater depth than you need (things like remote installs of windows 2000, for instance, will not be required in a+), but would fill in holes, and perhaps lead to greater understanding
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I first read the A+ for Dummies book. They're easy to read and give a basic background. Then I took A+ training at a local state college. Those courses used a study kit from Thompson, the distance learning people. My third book was Meyers's AIO Exam Guide. I liked Meyers's style. Yes, the practice exams are somewhat easier than the real thing, but the manual is good.

I don't recommend that anyone try using only one guide for A+ unless they have some solid experience.

You might check on Amazon for study guides and read the reviews. They are generally pretty fair. That might help you decide.

Best of luck.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input. The reason I'm taking this approach is this:

I was a diesel mechanic for over 20 years. Then I became very ill and left with a severe disability. I was a quadraplegic for almost 18 months. It took almost 2 1/2 years just to learn how to walk again--and I still have some issues and can't continue in my field. I've always been fascinated with computers and I wanted to learn how they work and how to fix them (any wonder?).

While I can work part time (data entry/secretarial work) I'm not really satisfied with that. I feel I have somethine more to offer. Since I had NO working knowledge of computers, no one was going to hire me. I figured (right or wrong) if I could possibly learn everything and I could and pass the tests, even thou I had minimal hands on/practical experience, the certificates would be an objective indication of my base knowledge.

So I did my research and found the Mike Meyer's book to be one of the most recommended books out there. I bought it and read it. Then I read it again. Then I did a bunch more research/planning and ordered up the parts to build my very own (not only for knowledge purposes, but if I could not physically build one myself, it was time to re-think my career path!). I was very successful and pleased with the results. Then I read it AGAIN. And while I FULLY understand that building 3 computers hardly makes me an expert, it has given me hope that I am not only smart enough to do it, but I can physically handle it also.

Since I'm on disability and money is an issue, I can't do the expensive boot camps and other course work out there. I have to maximize my spending abilities.

So I thank you for your help/suggestions (and for letting me prattle on)and I will go forward from here. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to this thread.

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with RZetlin about the quality of the questions that come with the AIO book, however they do sell a very good and comprehensive set of questions as a seperate item. I was involved with beta testing on this and found it to be of a reasonably high standard.
    However, as you are short on funds I would suggest the excellent range of questions the webmaster has arranged for this site and perhaps a few other members can chip in with a couple other places to visit.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    andra reenandra reen Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    boson.com ucertify.com examforce.com/customer/home.php
  • Options
    carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't rely on just one as I figure to get a good score on the test you should use three things, internet (message boards, practice exams, notes just make sure they are valid), a solid book like myers, and experience. Get an old garage sale computer and mess with it if you need to.
  • Options
    tiggertigger Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    YOU ARE awesome awesome. You have the Desire, Drive, and Ability to do What ever you want to do. Just relax, Changing careers is hard, I have had to change careers after 20yrs as an Electrician. The best advice I can give you is to remember when you first started as a Mechanic, it took you a while to figure out the basics, Once that clicked, the skys the limit..

Give yourself a chance, explore and enjoy it.

P.S. The person that says they know everything has no ability to learn.....