Need some info on how imaging and re-imagine is done.

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
Thats basically it, what the title says. Im looking for some info or some step by step tutorials on how to do imaging and re-imaging. I would appricate it :) thanks.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Step 1 - buy imaging software and read the manual. :)

Just kidding, though it really does depend on the software. Generally what you do is set up a computer to whatever standard you want. Install the OS and all updates/patches, install your other software like Office, Adobe, Winzip, etc (make sure all are properly licensed). Then set up whatever universal settings you want applied (screensaver, shortcuts, etc). Then you would clean up any temp files, event logs, profiles, and Internet cache. Maybe run a defrag (depending on the imaging software and image type). Then you would generally (if the image is going to be used for more than personal use and more than one hardware platform) run a sysprep with the -mini -reseal -quiet switches and let it shut down the computer. Boot it back up with a floppy or CD with your imaging software (and network drivers if needed) and pull the image.
    (Take breath)
    That doesn't include stuff like creating an OEM directory, sysprep.ini, or drivers directory either. As I said, see step 1. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a new way of imaging ...

Oi trevor - get your butt over here and image this machine icon_exclaim.gif

Please icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    sprkymrk wrote:

-quiet

What does this switch do, i have used sysprep many times and only selected reseal and use mini-setup

lee
  • blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    any suggestion on free utility that works for windows xp?

I never try it before. Imaging just means make a backup of your system?
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blackzone It depends on what you are wanting to do with it. The UBCD has several cloning tools.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

-quiet

What does this switch do, i have used sysprep many times and only selected reseal and use mini-setup

lee
    Not much, it just runs sysprep in quiet mode, with no user prompts.
    All things are possible, only believe.