VPN, correct me if I'm wrong.

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Okay.

I know how to setup VPN and stuff like that, I understand how it works, but... let me know if i'm correct about this.

Is VPN a connect that you can setup a server (example, at your main office) and setup a client on a laptop... is the VPN connection just like connecting through cable, or wireless (as if you were in the office?) but actually somewhere else in the country.

If so, then i have some more questions.

Cheers,
Jamie
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    VPN as I understand is Point-to-Point. Usually setup in the Gateway of two networks as a bridge over the Internet.

Because it's Point-to-point, I dont think it works as a client-server model, but rather whether there's connection or not. It doesnt matter who initialized the VPN cloud, but once it's setup, traffic can go through.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    VPN can be point-to-point, if you're simply using an endpoint router, for example. However, you could set up a VPN server, (such as RRAS,) to allow you to connect to a remote network from a laptop or a home PC. (That's about as server/client as VPN gets. It all depends on what kind of authentication and access you give on the end you're connecting to.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    but, it is just like connecting to the network as if you were at the office?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You can set it up that way, yes. Or, you could simply share resources, such as printers or network hard drives. It's all in the initial setup.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    but, it is just like connecting to the network as if you were at the office?

Basically yes. Thats how I describe it to users.

You will have your physical connection to the internet and then your connect via vpn using a virtual connection, a session layer on top of your internet connection, which acts as though you are directly connected to the network.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Yes, with VPN, you are piping your private network in your office (or a specialized offshoot of it) through the internet to the remote PC or remote office network.

The challenge with VPN often is passing it through NAT. There are various ways to implement the VPN concept, each with strengths, weaknesses, and challenges, especially with NAT. The best solution is when the VPN endpoint is on the same box running NAT, so that the box can bypass or work with the NAT for the VPN. Typically that would mean a firewall appliance with VPN and that can be expensive. If you have an inexpensive broadband router/firewall, and have the VPN endpoint on a Windows server, inbound initiated VPN connections may not be possible.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ISA and RRAS work wonderfully. never had an issue with them.