Options

how to share download speed on a home network

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have 2 PC's in my room, both coonected to a linksys router that is connected to a dsl modem. both PC's use windows XP home edition. I have the cheapest package from verizon $15 for 768kbps download. Is there any way that i can, lets say... make 1 PC use 500kbps and the other 268kbps in the case that both computers are online at the same time. and when only one is online at one time, they can use the full 768kbps. is this even possible? via software or hardware?

I want to do this so my main PC can use most of the download speed and that other PC can use just enough to browse the internet and stuff. i hope im making sense :) thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    linksys routers has a feature in application page on the web management console called QoS, Quality of Service. You can limit how much traffic can go to the different ports.

I have used it before, but I dont think it works that well.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    linksys routers has a feature in application page on the web management console called QoS, Quality of Service. You can limit how much traffic can go to the different ports.

I have used it before, but I dont think it works that well.
    Learn something new every day. I was just about to tell him "no", without spending money on better equipment. I don't have a linksys, but I used to.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    TheFORCE wrote:
    I have 2 PC's in my room, both coonected to a linksys router that is connected to a dsl modem. both PC's use windows XP home edition. I have the cheapest package from verizon $15 for 768kbps download. Is there any way that i can, lets say... make 1 PC use 500kbps and the other 268kbps in the case that both computers are online at the same time. and when only one is online at one time, they can use the full 768kbps. is this even possible? via software or hardware?

I want to do this so my main PC can use most of the download speed and that other PC can use just enough to browse the internet and stuff. i hope im making sense :) thanks.

The only real situation you would want to set this up in is in a guranteed business bandwidth with a high level device. Yes you have 768k but it will fluctuate, so if you gurantee a certain amount to another computer and it is not there, the PC when surfing will not pic up certain high bandwidth items. And if you gurantee less to that PC, then you are loosing bandwidth. To do this you really need something alot more expensive and advanced than a linksys. Something that has prioritys and bandwidth ranges. I have setup Packeteer packet shapers that do the job but they run like 5K. I have seen software installed on a PC running as the gateway do the job, but the software was always cheezy and unreliable. I would suggest ditching the dsl, getting cable and paying the $40-$60/month for 3MB~6MB they are offering now.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    One often can get up to 5MB with DSL now, at least 1.5MB. Obviously he has DSL lite. Cable now offers the same thing to make broadband affordable for the main populous.

I didn't think a Linksys would do QoS. If it does, that would be the way to go. Not sure how one configures it though.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Danman32 wrote:
    I didn't think a Linksys would do QoS. If it does, that would be the way to go. Not sure how one configures it though.
    garv221 wrote:
    Yes you have 768k but it will fluctuate, so if you gurantee a certain amount to another computer and it is not there, the PC when surfing will not pic up certain high bandwidth items. And if you gurantee less to that PC, then you are loosing bandwidth. To do this you really need something alot more expensive and advanced than a linksys. Something that has prioritys and bandwidth ranges.

That's what I meant by it "didnt" work well.
    http://www.dg-network.com/misc/QoS.JPG

As you can see, there are "things" you can do, but the options arent that comprehensive. You either enable, or disable a port. You can set limit on a port, but you can't set any guarantees, you can set percentages or bandwidth, but only limits of 256k, 512k, 1M, etc...
    Jack of all trades, master of none