Options

another TS question

amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
In my real job I have a 2003 TS server which has 75 licenses (per device type). The TS server has now stopped taking any further TS connections, I've been through the list of licenses and would duly buy some more if we had loads more people that need connection. However some of the licences issued are to machines we no longer have so I would like to revoke/remove ( scavage ?? ) them for reallocation. However I dont seem to be able to delete or remove them?? icon_redface.gif

Any ideas how to do this or what Im missing please?
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh this old chestnut. I'm not sure what MS latest stance is on this. I believe you have to contact MS clearinghouse to get those licenses back, at least thats what I have had to do in the past. But then I was sure this issue was fixed in 2003. Its been a couple of years since I have worked with TS licensing now.
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    make sure the connections that are not used are disconnected.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    looks like I gotta buy more licenses as you cant get rid of the dead ones till they expire icon_sad.gif

Man this is ONE HELL OF A SCAM
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    Yes your now learning the art os MS TS. First step - realise its a scam!

I used get so frustrated with MS TS licensing. Why can't they be more like Citrix licensing which is so simple and easy to use.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, it's crap.

If there are machines which previously were able to access the TS but are now unable, they were probably using one of the temporary licenses. There is a registry key where this information is stored on the client, if you delete it you can connect again and get at least another 120 temporary license token from the server until the licenses served out to the non existant clients expire and are reclaimied by the server.

There is an MSKB article about the regedit somewhere, here is the procedure

http://www.datadr.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=27
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing

I usually delete both the HardwareID and Store folders.

One of the other gotchas is per device / per user ... I always prefer per user.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing

I usually delete both the HardwareID and Store folders.

One of the other gotchas is per device / per user ... I always prefer per user.

Depends on circumstances. If you have a lot of users who use the same PC (eg 24 hour call centre) then per device would be a better option. If you have users who have more than one PC (eg PC at work, PC at home and laptop for travelling) then per user would be a better option.

If its sort of even and there isn't an advantage in any either then user license is probably best if PCs are likely to change before users.

It is quite a complex decision really to optimise the licenses and it shouldn't be. Connection based is the best - thanks Citrix for making MS TS look like crap ;)
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    But connection based means if you have more than one server, you have to duplicate your purchase.

Novell used to go by the concurrent connection model, but was losing out to MS who had Per Seat, where a seat could access as many servers as you want, no extra charge, other than for the server license itself.
    So, Novell moved to the per user license model, where a user license could access as many servers as you wanted. And no charge for extra servers.
  • Options
    But thats different when it comes to TS and Citrix licensing not Server licensing. Thats a completely different storey.