Options

Large amounts of overlap from 70-270

bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
Having done 70-270 / A+ / Network+ / Security+..... so far I see most of this exam is review?

There seems to be a few new things TS / Shadow Volumes, but every thing else seems like review or just a little more in depth.

Anyone else noticing this?

Comments

• Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    but every thing else seems like review or just a little more in depth.

Hmmmz.... I found it more difficult than that. There are other topics you should know thoroughly too.... SUS, backup and restore and NTFS premissions to name a few. I certaily wouldn't under estimate this exam!
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There are a lot of things that are similar, and a lot of subjects expanded from earlier tests. Things you've touched on before in the CompTIA tests or on the 70-270, but there is more to it. The similarities for things like NTFS permissions, for example, or printer administration, are the same as the similarities between a hot tub and an olympic-sized swimming pool: there's water in both, but one has a bit more than the other.

The idea is that you're supposed to have some familiarity with some things that do cross over between the client and the server operating system, just like there is cross over between almost all the tests. However, the further you go, the more there is to study, so be ready to learn all sorts of new things and new features about stuff you thought you already knew.

Also, there is a lot more practical application of things the 70-270 took for theory, such as Terminal Services. In the XP test, you simply had to know the concepts and, perhaps, basic setup from the perspective of XP Pro, and how to log in to the TS server (which, I suppose, falls under RDP, for the XP test). For 70-290, you need to be able to troubleshoot and set up TS for more advanced and "specialized" situations. The same goes for permissions, disk management, printers, users and groups, AD, etc. . .

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.