Options

Entry level job requiring experience?

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm looking at a job ad. Here is an excerpt:

"Position Description:

The Network Technician is an entry-level technical position..."

But then it goes on to say...

"Position Qualifications:

Minimum 2 years experience working with fundamental aspects of LAN and WAN technologies.

Thorough understanding of concepts of networking, cabling, routers and switches, Windows networking environments, and wireless technologies.

Ability to work in a team environment where a high level of customer service is expected.

Ability to learn quickly, be self-motivated, and have the energy and enthusiasm to grow in the job.

Excellent problem-solving skills.
Salary: Negotiable and commensurate with experience; includes extensive benefits package. "

What do they really mean when they say this sort of thing in an ad, that they want experience but only want to pay entry level wages? Or am I being cynical?

Should I bother applying with the certs that I have and basically no on the job experience?

Comments

• Options
    caswell22caswell22 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i see this all the time, it really bugs me too. the worst adverts i see is from schools, they advertise for people with min of 2 - 3 years experince, with MCSE and offer less than £18000. techs who are qualified with MCSE who have a couple of years experince wont touch jobs which pay that kind of money, and when i apply, i dont even get an interview. job hunting sucks!
    XBOX + GUITAR = failed exams!
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    you should apply general rule of thumb is of u meet 80% of the requiremrnts apply.... if they wanted 5 years ecperience don;t bother but 2 years can do

they mgiht even take schooling as experience...some palces count it some want real world

most peopel who who with even home networks have LAN experience...doesn't have to be large scale.

if ou atleast know what WAN technolgies are out there and how ot troubleshoot them on a basic level u should be fine for an entry level position.

if you've taken A+ and NET+ you should have a solid grasp of cabling, routers vs Swtiches, when to use switches over hubs (always...if u can) and know the basics u'll encounter with wireless

if your personable and can work with other peopel your a team player..just be polite when answeriong peopel for customer service try to hide what u really think for those "dumb" issues.

learn quickly is self expalnatory...msot people here pick tihngas up fairly fast.

self-motivated jsut means can u be trusted ot work on your own or is our manager gonna have ot be watching you say hey your done that go do this now....or can u reconignize sometihng needs to be changed and then verify it is fine with your manager before doing so. Most managers do;nt want to hold your hand.

Enthusiasm is just show you liek what u do whether your the guy who orders parts and want ot be the admin or the admin....just show your anxious to move up if interviewed ask questions like "what other oppurtunities are there in this company?"
  • Options
    brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is actually a school that I am familiar with and I think it would be a fun place to work. £18000 is US$33660, I wouldn't mind that or even less for entry level. I don't know what the cost of living difference is between London and where I am (central Maryland, USA) though.

Job hunting does suck, employers want everything and don't want to give anything.

Maybe I will send my resume and spell out that I am looking for entry level based on my education, just to see what they say, if anything.
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    I would apply for it and see what happens.

A lot of time employeers set the job requirments too high because they have no idea what they need in an employee.

Or worse....they are replacing someone that just left the position...and they want you to have that persons skills but at entry level pay.
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    bcairns wrote:
    A lot of time employeers set the job requirments too high because they have no idea what they need in an employee.

Or worse....they are replacing someone that just left the position...and they want you to have that persons skills but at entry level pay.

I recently saw a job for a network administrator but they also needed to do the following:

Web admin
    Programming/DB design
    SQL Admin
    Desktop support
    Policy creation

..and a few other duties.

They also wanted minimum 5 years, MCSE, CNE/CNA.

They only wanted to pay $68000 AUD. The position was also a solo one. There's no way I'd touch that.
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    briangl wrote:
    What do they really mean when they say this sort of thing in an ad, that they want experience but only want to pay entry level wages? Or am I being cynical?

Bingo... and no you are not being cynical.

Many times "entry-level" is referring to the pay, not necessarily the responsibilities. Be honest, but always tell why you would be good in the position or for the company. Often, someone with a general level of understanding of the technologies, the right attitude and a willingness to work hard for below average pay, are what they are looking for. Remember there is more to compensation than just salary.

Good luck,
    RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+