Options

Contract to hire question->

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Got contacted for a contract to hire job from a company called compucom.. Anyone heard of them?

They say they contract you for 3 months then they offer you a full time job etc..

What are the drawbacks and is it wise to do this?

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Should'nt be any drawbacks,just dont count on being hired after,if you like the job and they want to hire you good,but take the job with the mindset that it is for 3 months only and this should reflect on the salary offered. Generally you should be paid at least double for contract work,this makes up for sick days, no stability etc, anyway take a salary your happy with.
    Also insist the company pays expenses up front and try to get paid weekly at the start.My experience contracting has been working with 3 to 4 months salary backlog with expenses on top, this gets stressful at times so its better to arrange before rather than after.If you can get a contract stating payment should be received within a certain time.You would be surprised at the lengths people go to trying to aviod paying the contractor.
    Anyway dont let me put you off,just be aware.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    I don't think this is for me then.. I have a full time job now w/ benefits and the 3 month contract was not much more.. I can't afford to take that chance.. no point really.

Great info! Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    IMO you realy need to ask the company becuase it can be for many reasons.

- it could be they've been burned before and if you don't work out it is easier to let you go with contraxct to hire. I interviewed for a union job and the guy told me flat out that is wahy this was contract to hire position but cause it it wasn't it is harder ot get rid of problem employees

- it could be they don;t wanna pay benefits so after 3 mnoths regardless you will be gone. I've seen companies that are alwayts hiring ever 3-6 mnoths or 3-6 mnoth positions.

- also where I live 3 mnoths probation is very common it might jsut be there way to giving you a probation period.

I wolud ask the company befor maknig any decissions then weigh your options
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where I work thats just how they deal with the probation period.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Yeah I will check when they give me call and see what they mean.
  • Options
    Crash06Crash06 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, it does depend on the situation. Regretably, I took a contract-to-hire position recently and am still a temp. I say "regretably" because the company I am "temping" for has numerous benefits that I get no part of. Also, the whole temp-to-hire thing is hush-hush, meaning I have no idea when I will go to permanent (if ever).

I personally prefer stability, but it all depends on you. Temp jobs can be a great way to learn new skills and new work environments. As a previous poster mentioned, just do not expect to be hired. Anything can happen.....
  • Options
    Got a call tonight...

PC Support job - level 2 support

Pay: 33K - currently making 31k..

10 month contract w/ benefits..

Not sure what to do.. pay raise is only 2k and it is based on a 10 month contract.

The good news - I will be supporting all the servers along w/ the desktops and they will train me w/ the servers since most of my experience is with desktops.

They said they will hire after the 10 months if everything is working out. After the 10 months the pay rate is increased.

Not sure what to do here. I think I will go in for an interview to get more details of what I will be doing. Most of it is imaging and taking care of the desktops w/ in the corporation.

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the job responsibilities sound like they're based on a project instead of a day to day position, the conventional wisdom here has been that an perm offer is unlikely.

There'd have to be more going on than a 2k/yr raise to go from perm to contract if it were me. For you, that thing might be the server experience. I don't know.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Blarg -

You are correct. I talked to the manager today and he said once the 10 months are up the project is done.

So this is just not for me..