Options

Networking vs Programming

!30!30 Member Posts: 356
Hello !

I have a bit "question" . I saw that some people like to programme ( like robot's , making soft's and stuff ) , some like configuring server's ( network job ) , some like web design and some ( IT world is big ).

Ya , my question is : "If you want to have a great carrier in IT , which path to choose ?"

I saw Scott Morris CV that coming to this point he choose networking sayning that he diden't like programing like a robot ( my word's ).
I mean that I know some programing , you need it sometime , some scripting , but making it all life could be boring altough ( just coding like a robot ) , in place networking on multiple platform's and this thing's could be a really cool life adventure.

What do you think ? icon_rolleyes.gif
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Today i was at a company installing a motherboard for their Precision 470 and kinda got in a conversation with their IT guy there. told him that i was going to school for computer science and choose it because i wanted to program. He told me, programming is dead and has been dead for over 5 years now, unless you specialize in some area. I think IT is about knowing some stuff about this and some stuff about that and some stuff about that other thing. you know, just know enough about most of the things.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote:
    Today i was at a company installing a motherboard for their Precision 470 and kinda got in a conversation with their IT guy there. told him that i was going to school for computer science and choose it because i wanted to program. He told me, programming is dead and has been dead for over 5 years now, unless you specialize in some area. I think IT is about knowing some stuff about this and some stuff about that and some stuff about that other thing. you know, just know enough about most of the things.

icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gif

He needs to try telling that to the 15 developers/programmers where I work. Oh yeah, and all the guys at Microsoft. And how about the google guys? Novell/SUSE, Red Hat, Gnome, KDE, and all the other Open Source developers. I'm sure that none of them are aware that programming is dead. Johan, JD, wake up guys! icon_lol.gif

Specialize or not - ASP.net, VB.net, PHP, C#, C++, what ever - programming is alive and well. And no offence to you TheFORCE, I am aiming my comments at the guy you spoke with. I really don't know what he meant by that statement.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    You get out of IT what you put into IT.

Find out what turns you on, what fascinates you - balance that with what is practical, makes decent money, and go with it.

I'm not a programmer, but I have done enough scripting and code work to know that it's a mistake to think of programming as necessarily "robotic." Programming can be highly energetic and creative work. There are always problems to solve in creative ways.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    TheFORCE wrote:

anything that doesnt change for a certain amount of time will be dead. Everything comes with a timeframe, and validity date. If you're still working with pagers in this day and age, chances are it'll be very hard for you to find a job. In the case of programming, it's simily gone on to something else, so unless he's meant to say programming has "evolved" for over 5 years now, he's in the wrong.

Programming is still very much so alive quoting sprkymrk, today, it's known as Software Development, Software Enginering, Software verification, System Design, Quality Assurance, and many others.

Some of you will probably be very against this thought, but I think practice without knowledge is meaningless. Both is required, and equally important.

If you are "programming", you will soon be replaced, because all you are doing is preforming a task.
    If you are "programmer", it will be more difficult to replace you because you are fulfilling a role.

knowledge without practice is dead, practice without knowledge is meaningless.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends what your interested in

I was put off programming at a young age during my time at college

We had to study 5 different languages over the course of 3 months

The ones I studied were

Cobol, fortran,Pascal,Visual Basic,Prolog

Learning about varibles and Loops for me was a slightly boring

I have since tried to develop a interest in programming I have carried out a few tutorials in the following languages over the years

VB,HTML,Javascript,ASP,C+,Python,Ruby

I can honestly say that the spark that makes a great programmer didn't really happen with me no matter what language I tried to study I just couldn't achieve anything

I would spend hours reading tutorials But nothing would sink guess I wasn't born with the programmers mentality

After pondering what really interested me I decided to go the network route I picked up the basiscs pretty quickly and hope to complete my CCNA this year

I guess I just wasn't cut out to become a programmer
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I myself think programming is kool. I just do not have the skills neccessary to be one. My closest thing to programming is html, which I know only some. Do not judge a professional because of his title. We will need programmers for as long as we have OS's and applications.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland