Options

would you take this opportunity/job?

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
just got an email about a job, project, i have no idea what it is. but this is what the email said.
Lexmark Printer Installation technician *******

Duration: one day (there is one printer to be installed on site)
Date: 9/15
Start: 9 am
Rate: $15/hr

Installation of Lexmark Printers. (Follow instructions attached)
IMPORTANT: Printers are HEAVY (40 lbs). Please make sure you are able to lift up to 40 lbs,

REQUIREMENTS
RELIABILITY
Min of one technical certs: A+, Net+, MCP, etc.
One (1) plus years of experience in technical field
Superb interpersonal (people) skills

Please email us your resume in Word.doc format if you meet the required qualifications and

would like to be considered for this opportunity.

so would you take that?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not unless I was currently working in a non-IT job. What do they mean by 1 day duration? They want to hire someone to install a single Lexmark printer at $15/hr? That's not a job, that's a service call.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    And a service call would run around, hmmm $100-200?!?
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    You need superb interpersonal skills to install a printer. Fantastic! icon_eek.gif
    witty comment
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    WTF. That's not a job. Why would you even ask this question here? icon_rolleyes.gif
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you need the money! enough said!
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At $15/hr and considering that it takes an hour or less to install a lexmark printer (even with add on accessories, setting IP address etc...), it would be hard to justify spending +/- $2.50/gallon of gas to get there and back.

Pass
  • Options
    computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't take it due to the requirments.

They require you to have Network+ and MCP for this position ? now thats just plain absurd. A+ is overkill for this type of work too.
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't take it due to the requirments.

They require you to have Network+ and MCP for this position ? now thats just plain absurd. A+ is overkill for this type of work too.

It says min of one cert but it still isn't worth it.
  • Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol yeah you right pass on that like nascar!
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's just insulting.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    justin42279justin42279 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree, that is just messed up. BUT....

if it were me, and I was just starting out, i might look at it as a way to meet people and introduce myself. Throw a little charm in there and shake a few of the right hands. impress some people. At the end say, "i'm looking for something more permanant. maybe you might know of somebody who's looking for IT people."

the most powerful skill you can have right now in this market is networking. by that, i mean be personable, meet people, get your name out there.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I wouldn't take it but I have experience.

I would consdrer it though if I did;nt have much experience and was trying to getinto the industry like posted above.

even if you have a few couple of day contracts your still more qualifed than the guy right outta school with zero experience....that could get you the interview over that person and then if you palyed your cards right even a job.

from what I've seen

Degree with zero experience = good luck

the market is saturate with peopel with degrees and no experience not jsut in IT either.
  • Options
    Nathan of GothTechNathan of GothTech Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It looks like something Computerrepair.com would send out icon_lol.gif

I used that as free advertising just tell them next time you have a problem call me (give them a business card) lol icon_twisted.gif
    Nathan

A+ ,Network+ ,Dell 2005 F Desktops
  • Options
    drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've seen headhunters use bogus jobs just to get your resume'. Then they pound you with spam.
    Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    LOL. JOB REQUIREMENTS --- A Pulse.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This isn't a job offer, surely it is just a service call. Could be a test to see what your like with an opportunity to go on further.

The job may not seem difficult to most of us but you'd be surprised how many 'IT' people cannot network and set up a printer correctly or those who fumble around for hours even days to get it done.

Also it could be a political thing within the company. Many IT people do not feel they should be removalists and should not be lifting heavy things such as printers. So it might just be a way of a manager getting something done.

Either way I'd pass - $15/hour for a 1 day job AND you have to lift the thing!!

They will probably end up with a very poorly skilled person on this who screw it up and then they'll have to pay a real IT person to come in and fix it.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    $15 an hour is ridiculous, if that were the rate for a job doing that daily then I'd say take it. I would call and ask the rate, when they say "15 an hour to install one printer.", ask "Are you joking?", when they say no, you say "Are you joking?". And see how long you can keep the loop going.

But seriously like the other posters, this is a service call. It's not like you're installing a whole bunch of them, that'd be a project, they're trying to get someone in on the cheap to install it.
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    gotta be a joke
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    post their e-mail address so we can send them our resume..........lol......lmao
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I just got a similar email and I am a little leary. Here it is:
    My name is Theo Hawthorne and I am with MSI International. We are a 40-year-old staffing firm that works in IT, Finance and Accounting, Healthcare and Legal industry. My group is the National Infrastructure Operations Center (NIOC) and we specialize in HW/SW rollouts, upgrades, deployments and deskside support.

I was forwarded a copy of your resume from a search string I had out on careerbuilder.com. I am currently working with a client in need of someone who comes from an A+ Certified background to aid in a PC install project. This project will install a new PC at the local Circuit City location on 10/3.

If you have some interest in this position, please forward me a copy of your resume (the one forwarded from Careerbuilder is all justified over to the right hand side of the page) at your earliest convenience.

Should I stay clear of this? Nobody at Circuit City can install a new pc?
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."