Options

Take this opportunity?

My uncle works for GM and said he might be able to get me in over there as a line worker. As some of you know I cannot get a decent job anywhere in Michigan as of yet computer related. I have been to a few interviews with no success. I have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and a A+ certification. Plus I'm almost done with my MCP. Here's my dilemma I can work at GM building Cadillac’s for $21 an hour or continue to hope I find a job in my industry. The contract with GM is for one year and my uncle seems to think this would be a great opportunity for me as he started out this way in 85’ and now is a engineer for GM.The pay is great no doubt but being out of industry for a year will look bad won’t it? Need some insight. My school bills are due in October so I need something soon..

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're only looking for full time permanent non contract tech jobs which pay high wages, that might be where your problem is. You are likely going to have to take a temp to perm situation starting out in IT these days.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    Im looking for anything as long as it pays at least 14-15 an hour which I think is fair. Im looking for contract or temporary work. I was not unreasonable at all for the postions that I applied for.
  • Options
    Have you gotten any contacts back for the jobs you have applied for? What jobs have you applied for?

Where I live (North Carolina) just a comp sci degree and A+ probably wouldn't quite bring $14 but maybe Michigan is different. I had a CS degree, CCNA, and 6 months experience and only got $14 after graduating in 2000, though it didn't take me long to get an increase.

You have to take what the market says is fair if you want to get your foot in the door.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sometimes you just have to play the cards you are dealt.

If you can get the job with or without your Uncles help then I would take it. Having some kind of income is better than not having one at all and who knows, GM may have a position open up in their IT department.

Get in there and build some relationships with as many people as you can. If you get an opportunity to talk to someone in the IT department then let them know your goals and see what it takes to get into that department.

Now it may not be a good idea to let your interviewer know that is your plan as they are most likely not the same one that interviews for the IT department for one and that may also give them a negative impression by letting them know that you aren't really interested in the job you are interviewing for.

I say go for it....after all, $21.00/hr isn't that bad of an income.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Isn't GM cutting jobs like crazy right now?
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    Ford is offering 75,000 people a package I think. I'm sure GM is not far behind.

If you take this, just make sure you don't become dependent on this job, this income (which is probablly artificially inflated because of the unionization), and a future with this company. It probably isn't going to happen. If you do it use it as a opportunity to save up some money for the cut you'll probably take when you take your first IT job.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I'd take it for now get some more certs... maybe even volunteer at a few places. I know a few guys woh have worked at C@P sdites (community internet access), I'm sure thereis sometihng simular in your area. It's basic but atleast u can say I have X number of mnoths experience now along with my Degree and Certs.

also I don't wanna come acroos as being offensive but if you;ve had interviews and not gotten the job do you know why? Sometimes it is jsut because of the other applicants sometimes u give the interviewer the wrong vibe....maybe not as personable as they'd like. Anyways make sure you always ask why you did;nt get selected if it's experience nothing you cna do excpet try ot get some more..... if it is a personal trait then mabe you cna work on it or take some interviewing classes or courses....alot of palces offer them or even pick up a book on interview techniques.

Did you know that in the first few seconds the interviewer has already made assumptions about you?

even little things matter a firend of mnie woh does hiring once told me if and interviewee shows up with out a pen he will not hire them becuase it shows they're not well organized or prepared. It seemsso trivial but you need to keep things liek that in mind

Dress is also important for an interview... it's better ot be over dressed than underdressed.

I highly recommend you pick up a book on interview techniques look at common questions asked and be able to give example right away... show your prepared.

most entry-level interviews are behavorial with questions like

Tell me a wtime when you showed great cusatomer services skills?

Tell me a time whne you had a conflict with a co-worker and how it was resoilved

what is your greatest weakness

what is your best skill

if you won the lottery would u still work why or why not?

You might get a few basic technical questions just to saee what your thought process is like or that you know basic info about the products you'd be supporting.

sorry for the long post but hope it helps you
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    dan87951 wrote:
    My uncle works for GM and said he might be able to get me in over there as a line worker. As some of you know I cannot get a decent job anywhere in Michigan as of yet computer related. I have been to a few interviews with no success. I have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and a A+ certification. Plus I'm almost done with my MCP. Here's my dilemma I can work at GM building Cadillac’s for $21 an hour or continue to hope I find a job in my industry. The contract with GM is for one year and my uncle seems to think this would be a great opportunity for me as he started out this way in 85’ and now is a engineer for GM.The pay is great no doubt but being out of industry for a year will look bad won’t it? Need some insight. My school bills are due in October so I need something soon..

Thanks

Let me guess, Fisher body in Lansing? I don't like unions, I couldn't stand working on a line and all I hear about is how drunk & lazy the majority of the line workers are but I would take the job lol. I would take it for the opportunities it could bring. You could end up in their IT dept and make some good money, they also pay for school. I know a guy who went through law school on GM's tab. As far as other IT positions, you had some interviews so you know your resume is good, you might want to brush up your interview skills. But ride this out and see what happens.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i worked in a union for serveral years some good & some bad.. really depend on the field i once was in the process of starting one at a tech place ( nearly 1000 workers) i worked at b/c alot of PPM( you can find the answer for the acronym in another of my posts icon_wink.gif ) leading to techs going crazy..( this was a case where it really was needed)

however you should start looking outside your area if this is something that you really want to do
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    On two interviews I was asked back for a second interview. Just never heard back from them. One interview had it nailed down to 3 people inlcuding me (refer to the local bank interview thread) and I thought I had that one in the bag. I'm always willing to enhance the presentation of myself in a interview so I didn't take it offensively. I’ll keep those tips in mind.

I have another interview today at 2PM in Owosso so if I don't feel like this went well i'll just fill out the app for GM. That was the plan if I work for GM is to maybe make it into there IT field. That’s how my uncle started out, he was working on the line got his degree and they promoted him to engineer.
  • Options
    Got a job today in the computer field! Start on monday! Thanks for the advice.. :D
  • Options
    Congrats! What will you be doing?
    IT guy since 12/00