Your advice is needed

OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
As some of you might already know, I am on a 2-month contract with a national TV station as a Network Administrator. I work in a corporate building and I have met a lot of powerful people that can help me advance my career. My contract ends in a few weeks and I do not want to miss the opportunity to expand my IT network. When is it a good time to approach these people and how should I approach them? Or should I even approach them at all?

Some of the titles include, CTO, VP of IT, Director of IT, IT managers, Technical services directors, and more.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Comments

• SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Start now. Unless your contract is going to get extended (inquire about it), I see no reason why you shouldn't start hitting up contacts now. Even if your contract might get extended, your well within your right to discuss other opportunities.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Olajuwon wrote:
    As some of you might already know, I am on a 2-month contract with a national TV station as a Network Administrator. I work in a corporate building and I have met a lot of powerful people that can help me advance my career. My contract ends in a few weeks and I do not want to miss the opportunity to expand my IT network. When is it a good time to approach these people and how should I approach them? Or should I even approach them at all.

Some of the titles include, CTO, VP of IT, Director of IT, IT managers, Technical services directors, and more.

Aproach the "coolest, laid back guy" that you think can assist you. Approach him as an equal and make some small talk and hopefully he will walk away with your resume. You really should have planted the seed on day one.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Thanks guys, but how should I approach them with the resume? That's my main concern.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • justin42279justin42279 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    here's a senario.

I perfer the direct up front approach. when your trying to sell something, go straight to the guy that makes decisions.

say something like, "as you know, my contracts about to expire in a few weeks. I was wondering if you had any plans of extending it or had any full time positions that might become available that I could apply for."

if he or she says no, nothing going to be available just say. "that's okay. i've really enjoyed working here these last 2 months. i'm just planning for after. Have you heard of anyone town looking for dedicated IT personel?"

in the end, atleast you can say. I appreciate your time. if yo u don't mind, i'd like to use you as a reference on my resume.

your on contract, your planning your next step. nobody should fault you for that. its the smart think to do
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Find the officer level person that you interact with the most and ask them to write you a letter of reference if they have time. People like doing stuff like that, assuming they like the person who asked them.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Thanks guys, but how should I approach them with the resume? That's my main concern.

Tell him you will get it to him later that day or tommorow first thing. The last thing I would do is walk up to the guy with it in your hand, that can be kind of insulting to him.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    I was thinking of getting straight to the point. That's the kind of person I am. I will take your advice, though.