Puzzling about equipments for CCNA

12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am thinking of getting the following equipments for my CCNA test, just wonder if this is a good choice? Thanks in advance.

1. 2 units of 2503
2. 1 unit of 2507
3. 1 unit of 1604
4. 1 unit of 1924 Switch
The sky is the limit!

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the I want to setup my own home lab what should I buy and how do I set it up? section of the forum CCNA FAQ.

The 1924 isn't heavy enough to be a boat anchor, but it could be useful as a door stop.

The 2500s are fine. Consider a 252x model to be a frame-relay switch for the first 3 2500s.

You'd want at least a 29xx series switch. Two would be better. And one of them being a 2950 would be even better. Having 2 2950s and another 29xx series would be the best (except for if someone gave you a couple of 3550s, then that would be the best).

Not sure about that 1600....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    except for if someone gave you a couple of 3550s

Mike if you want to give some away then Im your man lol!

The 1600s are ok for basics to be honest, they will do most things required for CCNA, try to get one with a later IOS the 4mb flash models run a very bare IOS.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I have 2 x 2503 as well. Pretty good if they're 16/16
    The 2507 is nice with its Ethernet Hub. I think 16xx and 19xx are too old for the current CCNA.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Im using two 1600's as part of my CCNP lab. There great little routers but I use them mainly as stub routers. They're great for that particular use.icon_cool.gif

I wouldn't even touch a 1900 because they're completely outdated. I use mine as a book stand. Personally I think you cant go wrong with a 2500 or two or three and a couple of 1700's. :):)
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • 12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all you guys replies, I really appreciate it!

I have a slight change of plan - upgrade a little bit. Of course, paying moreicon_wink.gif

Right now, I have a 2610 and 2 switches (2924 and 1924). I still can afford to pay for 2 units of 2500 series routers but not sure what to get?Any suggestions? I am aware that Mike suggested to get a 252x for frame relay switch, I would think that this 2610 can do the trick, correct me if I am wrong.

I did check out the 2950 and 3550 switches Mike suggested but it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg. So probably I will look into them if I happened to do my CCNP.

That's all for now, thanks!
    The sky is the limit!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well lets see. Quick look on ebay and a 2520 is going for $79 with max memory using buy it now. A NM-4A/S 4 Serial network module to plug into a 2610 and match the functionality of the 2520 is $75 with buy it now. So a complete router with another ethernet port to use for other things or a plug in for a 2610 unless you don't have that 2610 and we know what they cost. Let your checkbook be your guide but unless you have the extra 2610 already, it seems to be a non starter. I would go for a pair of 2520's as they are very useful later on. People are running up prices on 2522's and 2521's which get you ten ports each allowing very big simulated clouds. I have a mixed 8 router cloud on a 2521 with two extra high speed ports to play with and still use the backend token port.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • J2tehkJ2tehk Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can't go wrong with 2500's. Think about getting a 2514 if you have a DSL connection.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    J2tehk wrote:
    Can't go wrong with 2500's. Think about getting a 2514 if you have a DSL connection.

Agree! I got my recently, and I'm hoping to try out NAT on it soon.
    Jack of all trades, master of none