Network+ Value

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Has anyone actually found a job, that Network+ has open the door too? Will this cert even pay for itself?

I think it's just a building block cert, the halfway point to CCNA. At least that is how I am seeing it.
-Daniel

Comments

• sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    There are some ignorant employers who are all over CompTIA certs like stink on a monkey, which may help you find an entry level position (I got a help desk job for 8 months from Network+)

But I would agree with you: it's the first step in the field of networking IMO
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    deshana wrote:
    Has anyone actually found a job, that Network+ has open the door too? Will this cert even pay for itself?

It's hard to answer... Personally, I have not yet landed a job because I had this cert. But did the person who did get that job over me have a Network+ cert??? I just applied for a job and had an interview early August. I though I was well quailfied. I found out on Monday I didn't get it. I haven't yet asked the guy why.

Will it pay for itself? I guess yes. If you can find a better paying job (which is what I'm doing), eventually it will pay for itself.
    deshana wrote:
    I think it's just a building block cert, the halfway point to CCNA. At least that is how I am seeing it.

Yes. In a way. I'll certainly look at the CCNA certs. down the road.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're entry level and need to demonstrate you have networking ability, then it does have some value. Otherwise, not so much.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    sometimes it's more about showing you CAN accomplish things than the actual accomplishment it's self. I have network plus and a few other certs. I'm sure my employer didn't hire me because I specifically have Network+. He probably hired me because I demonstrated the ability to obtain goals I set for myself. It also proves that you have certain knowledge. Will it get make me rich? no! Did it pay for it's self? I think so. In a world where it's hard to get started in IT, how can you put a price on a little padding for an IT resume
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    Well I just started my second job in the It Industry making over 55k now and have been in the field about 3 years now. I got my first job right out of college (associates degree) and started with no real experience and no certs. I got my A+ about a year and a half ago and just left with a salary of 47k with just my A+ so. My current job that i'm at now was asking for A+ and Network+ or relative experience. So I think that the certs are def a great way to get your foot in the door but i also feel that experience is plays a big role. But to make the big $$$ certs are def the way to go with along with your experience. Good Luck
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    it will help you IMO.... it is a starting point if you have 10 years exp it will not count as much as somone with a year or less to and employer but it will help get a foot ihn the door.

Certs put letter's after your name which can help you get the interview...then it's up to you to sell yourself.

Network + shows you understnad basic concepts of network and how to implement them (low level obviously).

if you think your employer doesn't know about the cert once u have it show them why it is good... even bring a copy of the objectives and say this is what I'm qualified ot do... it will impress them.

it will also help you when obtianing higher levle certs cause ou already knoe things liek the OSI model...comes in handy all the time for certs.
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    ...making over 55k now and have been in the field about 3 years now
    Hmm, I think I need to move to the east coast! I can almost guarantee you that no one in my neck of the woods is making that kind of scratch with only an A+ and 3 years of experience (unless they're getting loads and loads of overtime pay).
  • hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    Hey kujayhawk93, I started out with just a A+ cert 6 years ago at 45k. It looks like I'm about 3 hours south of you. That's with no overtime and no experience. Although I make much more now, it just goes to show you that those kind of jobs are out there.
  • furbyfurby Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How many hours a week do you work for that salary because we my girlfriend and i only earn around 20 thousand together so thats not much.
    but the job demands here are much higher.
    Because employers are asking mcse/mcsa network experience ccna, .net, citrix, itil, linux, novell for only a call center job.
  • ra13ra13 Member Posts: 137
    I am salary based no overtime and I'm sure that there are def jobs out there like hanakuin said. I'm sure that the area does have somewhat to do with the pay scale but I feel as though that I got lucky. I was a systems admin prior doing 20% desktop support and 80% Server/Client Support and now I was hired as 90% Desktop support in a realestate investment company. I also want to note that attitude is really important and always turn a negative into a postitive in your interviews. Not saying it will make you the highest paid but will def get you back for a second interview. I think if you can find a job making at least 40k a year your doing well for your area and expereience. Good luck icon_lol.gif
  • borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was thinking about getting Net+, even bought a book on it before I moved over to being a network technician from being a computer tech but after getting the job I feel the CCNA is a much better value and for my job makes much more sense to get first (sense all I work with pretty much is Cisco equipment now).
    I'm sure having the Net+ can open some doors for you, my A+ alone got me a contract job with IBM Global several years ago for some decent money so I'm sure the Net+ could do the same.
  • netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    I wish people would'nt keep dumbing net+ down.

It may not pay 50k a year, but IMO I think it is a great cert to obtain, and yes it is foundation level, but great things start to build from foundations, and it got me two jobs, but things are probably different here in England than say, the US. And also I think it is good because of its vendor neutrality, which makes it better than focusing on one cert like MCSE for example, they come later, get network+ though because if you gon their site you can view all the companys that recognise it, microsoft and CISCO included, not to mention, novell, sun systems IBM etc ,etc. icon_lol.gif
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good point NetCom. It is a great foundation. I learned some useful network troubleshooting tips. I'm glad i have the cert.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    deshana wrote:

Will it pay for itself? Sure. You can easily make back the money you put into that exam.

Does it have value? I think it does. As a vendor neurtal exam it at least offers an introduction to network concepts and the candidate can go from there. If you really enjoy the hardware side...follow the Cisco track. If you want to spend your time with GPO and AD follow the MS track.

It's 1 exam. Not that expensive, so yes, I think you'll make your investment back.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    You always have to start from the very beginning and work your way up. It takes time and patience but in the end it will be well worth it.
    Now working full time!
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I may have missed it, but no one mentioned that the A+ and the Network+ count as a single elective towards an MCSA. If that is your track, it may be worth it right there.

Plus the CompTIA tests do not expire. If you find yourself laid off, they'll still apply even if you have let your other certs lapse.

Man, my cat just had a moment a ungrace and learned that my lap was a bit higher up than he thought. Since I am wearing shorts, he slid right down my bare leg claws and all. Still, he didn't mean it, so I didn't give him a kick - instead I asked him what he thinks, and he said that you should go for the Network+ (either that or he wants me to feed him - he just said meow.)
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    deneb829 wrote:
    Man, my cat just had a moment a ungrace and learned that my lap was a bit higher up than he thought. Since I am wearing shorts, he slid right down my bare leg claws and all. Still, he didn't mean it, so I didn't give him a kick - instead I asked him what he thinks, and he said that you should go for the Network+ (either that or he wants me to feed him - he just said meow.)

Damn cats ;)

Our male is like that too (well one is) He's sort of a clad. The other is the hunter. Sounds like it's time to clip the nails ;)

I was thinking about posting about both A+ and NET+, but fortnately you mentioned it!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Firstly I feel that certification is a good way to go to get your foot in the door or onto better job roles.

I personally do not have any IT qualifications but hey this doesn't make me a bad person lol

I have 2 years experience working on a help desk

and more recently have aqquired a better paid Computer technician Post implementing small networks and working with a broad range of equipment and Operating systems including UNIX/Linux/Solaris/Windows/Mac Os's

Did I have to obtain certificates to obain these posts hell no it's all about hands on experience I have came across people who are very techincal savvy but when it comes to the nitty gritty hands on they are useless.

I developed my career through personal time ( I am 21 years old)

It's very well learning about the OSI layers and TCP/IP but in the real world this the majority of times your gonna put these into pratice is very mimimal.

Although I am currently studying for Network+ as a introdution for my CCNA which I hope to also complete the Linux+ exam aswell

:)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • wolfgang73wolfgang73 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As we all know, this cert will identify you of having functional & fundamental Network knowledge. I have been studying for this cert and will go for it this Tuesday. I hope to pass and be recognized with this knowledge. Also I think this cert is cool. And I want to be able to add it to my resume. When I pass I will possess the Trinity...(A+,Security+,Network+) :)
    "The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess. But, he's pretty sure you're fu**ed."
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Well I think that the N+ is a great foundation for someone's future in networking.

Will it open doors to you? Perhaps. Remember though - the CCNA is also basically the entry level cert for Cisco devices.

The N+ will first show that you understand the basics of networking, and that you are motivated to train and educate yourself. Is it going to get you big $$ - hardly.

CCNP and above are the certs that truly command big $$.

Also remember that if you are even considering the MCSA - then the N+ and A+ can be used for an elective (I'm planning on using them for that exact reason).

So IMO - CompTIA certs are great for foundation building for future vendor specific certs (CCNA->CCNP MCSA->MCSE).

I'm planning on adding Security+ sometime this year to complete my MCSA +Security.

GL
    The wealth I gain is in my head. I take that where ever I go.

Peace. icon_idea.gif
    "The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess. But, he's pretty sure you're fu**ed."
    pratcial expereince easily outweights certs

I have seen it many times your average joe remembers every fact about network devices only to struggle when installing a ADSL connection at home

As for the network+ material it doesn't really seem that challening sure I havent become qualified yet

but from the material I have read it isn't a case of proving your knowledge it's a case of how good your brain is at remembering statistics

That's the problem with Certs thesedays we need a better method to set apart peoples ability

• tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    although in saying that there are alot of certs that cant be passed by as you say just "remembering statistics", a very good example is CCIE and alot of the other cisco certs, you need the hands on experiance either at work or at home lab you've built.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
    Yeah but a number of exams such as

MCDST, N+,A+,LINUX + , MCSE

Can be pretty much passed after rembering statistics after a week or so's intense study

I want the kind of questions where you have to prove your knowledge by actually writing the anwser and being scored on the Appropriateness of your anwser

• bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Without cheating - I highly doubt someone could pass one of the MCSE exams in one week after studying none-stop. I can possibly see 70-270 or 70-290 if the individual had years of expirence, but beyond that I don't buy that for a second.

Are there "paper" MCSE? Probably, but that still would amount to more than just memorizing statistics.

Have you even looked at the MCSA or MCSE tracks? Yes, you do have a lot of memorizing, but it's more than just numbers and figures that you are expected to regurgitate.

Cisco uses SIMs heavily which require hands-on expirence, and M$ has SIMs as well (I've heard) so more mid-to-high level certs require hands-on expirence - so you're right on the entry level certs (A+, N+) but even then thats a strech.
    ally_uk wrote:

Can be pretty much passed after rembering statistics after a week or so's intense study

This coming from a person with NO Certification.

Why dont you give it a shot and then formulate an opinion. :)

MS
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:

I want the kind of questions where you have to prove your knowledge by actually writing the anwser and being scored on the Appropriateness of your anwser

If you can pass the MCSE with no working experience in a weeks time, my hats off to you.

I've used Windows XP since beta and have helped administer a network of 40 clients running XP for the past year and a half. I can guarentee you there was no way I would have been able to pass the 70-270 with a single week of study.

The only way I could see someone being able to do it was if they were working for a large corporation that used every single module built within XP, or if they had extensive knowledge or certification in Windows 2000 Professional.

I can see the point you are trying to make, but until you actually pass the tests I wouldn't be telling people the appropriate amount of study required for the above certifications.
  • tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    I agree with the above posts, most certifications take much more than just remembering statistics to pass, when i first started on the MCSA trak with 70-210 i was damm supprised the amount of things i dident know and the things i had to learn by setting my own lab up to do (and trying at work) and i've been working with the products for 3 years.

overall gaining certs has helped me in many ways one of the main ones is that i have learn't alot more than i would have by just using things at work as there is always something that you dont know about with an OS or routers etc.

gaining certs + hands on experiance is the best way to go.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I totally agree, I've taken the MCSA/MCSE track of classes at my local college and that's like 9-10 months worth of instructor led classes...and we actually got into the the computer and complete the tasks that you might see in a production environment...and even with all the hands on...I still would be hard pressed to pass the MCSE without a few more months of studying...i'm not saying that it's impossible but you'd have to be a "Doogie Howser" in order to accomplish that task.
  • muriloninjamuriloninja Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sometimes it's more about showing you CAN accomplish things than the actual accomplishment it's self. He probably hired me because I demonstrated the ability to obtain goals I set for myself. It also proves that you have certain knowledge.

You are correct. The same applies to a degree; it is not only good for allowing people to see that you have an education in a specific area, it also shows an employer that you are willing to learn. I have learned 100x more outside of school than i ever did sitting in class.