Options

OSPF routers sharing a segment... can't picture it!

Hello Everyone!

Well... I'm doing fine... but... I can't picture this:
Routers that share a common segment become neighbors on that segment.

Can someone give an example (real one) when this would happen... I know an ethernet network would be the case, still, I can't picture a design where two or more routers share the same segment. Maybe segment is in another context here... I feel very dumb... icon_sad.gif

Can anyone give a picture on this?

Comments

• Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    I guess they're talking about a point-to-point network where the two routers form an adjacency, remember they still share a segment albeit point-to-point! Or even point-to-multi point with the spoke routers forming an adjacency with the hub.

Ethernet or any broadcast network wouldn't count would it? Since the router will only form an adjacency with the DR/BDR.

Hope this brings some clarity icon_wink.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
    In an ISP the core network is segmentated in two networks for exmaple red and blue and on each segment are connected routers wich ones have diferents purposes and services.

routers from red network are conected to a 6500 (for example) and that sw is attached to a high perfomance router (red lebled)

routers from blue network are conected to a 6500 (for example) and that sw is attached to a high perfomance router (blue labled)

those switches are connected with each other an both routers too

now that segmentation is useful for ospf design because you can reduce big amounts of traffic by Dr&BDR election process

mmmm hope this was useful for you i tried to be clear

cheers
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Thank you guys... now I got the picture (Finally LOL!)

Lets keep reading...............

Saludos amigos!