Options

Memory Bank

hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
Hi everybody, i'm use to post on CCNA forum but this time i think this is right one to get my answer.

We are all know that a computer has 65,535 ports to establish communications. my question is:

Where are located those ports?

i guess there are on the DRAM, (i guess) if so, Can you help with some links to get the memory bank of a PC (for example)?

or Am i really lost????

thnks guys

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Are you talking about TCP/IP Ports? Like port 80 for HTTP, 21 for FTP?

Those are application layer protocols. Application layer is the top layer of Open System Interconnect, a model that describes data transfer and node communication.

Anyhow, these ports are not physical, so you cant find them from memory or hardware components.

You can type
    netstat -a

in command prompt to view a list of active ports running on your system.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    or Am i really lost????
    I don't know about lost, but maybe a little confused. Are you talking about TCP/IP ports as bighornsheep suggested, or are you talking about memory addresses? You mention memory several times, but it's not clear as to what you're asking about.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They are "virtual ports" in software. Where in the software? Good question. Well, the OS creates them dynamically, so they must be in memory somewhere.

Anyone want to google this, or know off the top of their heads? It's an interesting quetion that I never thought about in quite that way before.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    perfect, therefore they are all random embedded in the app memory not in a physical location.

Is this right?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well they are not Physical so that much is correct.

Embedded in memory???? Maybe dynamically held, but I have a feeling it's likely still held on the software side and not in RAM.

Good question?? I'll look around.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Doesn't really get us any closer:
    http://certcities.com/editorial/columns/story.asp?EditorialsID=48

Is it merely just a system Process?
    Still looking icon_wink.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    hey dude a lot of info!!!!

thnks for post. i'll chek 'em
  • Options
    You are welcome. Not sure how helpful they are but the one from MS lists ranges for the Memory for certain ports....though it may not be what we're thinking.

Still looking around :)
    Plantwiz
    _____