Dealing with difficult questions ?

ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
How do you deal with difficult ambiguous questions on the exam that ask you for more than one answer? What if one of the answers seem clear but the others are vague or possible.

Why does comptia give questions like these, there should be only 1 correct answer, when your studying your brains off, why would they try to trick you? thanks
Richard Krenzel

Comments

• SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    well sometimes they are trying to trick you

other times there is more than one correct answer.

something like

how can you connect ot the internet from home

a: DSL
    b: Cable
    C: Modem
    d: T1

answer A,B,C

yes we knoe T1 connection are internet related but who has a T1 at home

comptia exams require you ot read very carefully
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Unlike some of the practice tests you'll run into, the CompTIA exam questions will always tell you how many correct answers to mark. From my experience, if there are 4 answers, and the question states "Choose 2", the other two are so ridiculous that it's really not hard at all to pick out the correct two. If the question did not explicitly tell you how many correct answers there are, I would agree that they were being unfairly tricky, but as it is, I think the multiple-answer questions are quite fair.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    ricktea wrote:
    How do you deal with difficult ambiguous questions on the exam that ask you for more than one answer? What if one of the answers seem clear but the others are vague or possible.

Why does comptia give questions like these, there should be only 1 correct answer, when your studying your brains off, why would they try to trick you? thanks

It's the nature of standard examination.
    Multiple choice questions (if created and asked properly) are intended to test knowledge beyond the surface.

The idea of having more than one answer is so that you have to know for sure it is the answer, so the ultimate goal is to of course know exactly with all topics the correct answers. But if that is too difficult, some topics you may have to know what are impossible answers, and then eliminate those, and be left with the correct one.

For example, you should know exactly that ATA/IDE are hard drive/ROM drive interfaces, and not anything else.

But you may not remember exactly which socket was Intel, which was AMD. However you can elminate several of them as non-Intel, so you will know they are AMD, ie. Socket 7, Socket A.

Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
    thankyou for your help, I am preparing by using two
    books, Mike

meyers Passport, and the Exam Cram book, is this sufficient
    thanks
    Richard Krenzel
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    ricktea wrote:
    thankyou for your help, I am preparing by using two
    books, Mike

meyers Passport, and the Exam Cram book, is this sufficient
    thanks

you have chosen very good material. Meyers is the man when it comes to his A+/Network+ materials. Exam Cram will give you great practice questions.

In my opinion, I think you're good for materials. You just need to study hard now!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ricktea wrote:

It's not 'trick' questions, as pointed out earlier sometimes there are in fact more then 1 correct answer and you'll be tested on your knowledge of this information.

The Meyer's book is highly recommened as is Sybex. Experience and the objectives from CompTIA will be extremely helpful :) Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    By using sort of a process of elimination method to look at the questions did anyone feel pressed for time?

100 questions seems like a lot. I am setting this test on the 28th. I feel pretty well prepared I am just concerned about time.