Options

advice needed

I recently got a job and it pays well and it's a good job, but there is a catch. One of the people I directly work is absolutely no people's person. I believe he has some family problems and often angry. Often he's very unprofessional and rude which makes me very nervous. I'm sure we've all seen people with whom we can't create a connection, but this is an extreme case. What should I do? I'm very patient and easy-going, but I believe there is a limit as to how much I can afford. Any advice would be really appreciated. I've thought about talking it, but that unfortunatly is not an option.

Comments

• Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is where you put your foot down. Say something like "look i dont know whats going on with you but you need to respect me or dont talk to me. And be firm if they dont like it "SO WHAT". Never and i mean never let someone disrespect you without atleast defending yourself.
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    binarysoul wrote:
    I recently got a job and it pays well and it's a good job, but there is a catch. One of the people I directly work is absolutely no people's person. I believe he has some family problems and often angry. Often he's very unprofessional and rude which makes me very nervous. I'm sure we've all seen people with whom we can't create a connection, but this is an extreme case. What should I do? I'm very patient and easy-going, but I believe there is a limit as to how much I can afford. Any advice would be really appreciated. I've thought about talking it, but that unfortunatly is not an option.

I see your situation but you cannot just let some anygry person get in your way of persuing a good career. Forget that guy.

icon_evil.gif
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Some people you just aren't going to be able to connect with. As long as it isn't hampering your ability to get your work done, don't let it worry you too much.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Try to avoid that person. I know it's not easy but try to avoid him as much as you can. No job is perfect.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    He could be the reason you got the job. If you are a new hire and have already noticed his behavior then chances are that others above him has noticed the same and his days may be numbered. Hang in there.

BTW, Never demand respect. Respect is better earned.

Congrats on the new job.
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think he said he works directly under this person, if so I would stand your ground in a strong but respectfull way and maybe say something like "I don't know if you have some things bothering you but this is out of line, I expect to be treated in a professional manner and in turn expect myself to treat others the same way. Now if I"m doing something wrong I'll be happy to fix it or help get it worked out, however being treated in this manner is not appropriate." The best thing is to try and avoid him as mentioned but if he is your boss then you can't likely do that. I got into it with one of our network engineer's once as he was way out of line and only when I got in his face and flat out told him I could yell and act as much like an ass as himself did things get better- hell I think he actually started respecting me more after that, lol. Of course luckily the boss was not around when that incident happened to me, lol.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks for everybody's response. I believe working with people with whom one may have a conflict of style is probably one of the worst things that can happen in one's career. But I think when you're new somewhere, some individuals may try to put you down without any reason and that's a witness of their personality and who they are. I just don't want to get stressed over this and if not I will look for another job. I do have good experience and I know from working in the past, I have ALWAYS respected others and people have always respected me, so I'm not used to playing games with people if I have options. Who knows, I may see a similar person in my next job, but who knows, maybe I won't.