Options

Need to teach myself VTP- buy cisco router or books?

Im going for a networking job with a deadline next in one month. One requirement is some experience/ knowledge of VTP. Im considering buying a used cisco router on ebay. My question is would it be more impressive to a possibe interviewer if I was to obtain a router and tinker with it and learn what I need to know. Any suggestions on model numbers would be appreciated. Or is it better to use the web and some books. Hope this makes sense- this is the end of a very long day. Thanx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Vtp is used on switches not routers,its a very simple thing to learn, you can find all the information you need on cisco's website,you dont need to buy books.It would be good to have a home lab to play with,the question is how much are you willing to spend and what are your long term goals?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    VTP is easy. You will only use it if you you need to configure VLANs on your switches. Vlan Trunking Protocol can be learned over the Internet in a few minutes. :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you will also need to learn the NO, NOs of Vtp most of which comes from alot of hands on..

so get busy in the lab with the switches
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Thanks guys, off to cisco's site. I looked at some switches and I don't think i want to spend that much.