Options

VLAN routing setup

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
ok so i know that when enable inter vlan routing you dont use an IP address on the main ethernet interface and you configure the subinterfaces with ip address's.

Iam looking at implementing VLANs into my actual work, however our router Cisco 1721 has only one ethernet interface which already has an IP address assingned to it, which is our default gateway.

So in this type of setup i would need to have a router with two ethernet interfaces right? one would be the gateway and the other would be used for VLAN purposes.

Is this correct?
thanks
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• Options
    darwinismdarwinism Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Typically you run a IP range per VLAN and make the sub-interfaces the default gateways.
    If you are living in the Columbus, OH area and studying for the CCNA click the following link.

CCNA looking for study partners in Columbus, OH
  • Options
    mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    I think he means that because he only has one Ethernet interface, he can only connect one other network device. The Eth interface is currently leading OUT to his ISP, so he would need another Eth interface to assign sub-ints/VLANS to.
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    If that ethernet interface is his default gateway, it is likely connected to his switch. So he just needs to follow mzinz' other post on how to configure router on a stick.

int fast 0/0
    no ip address

int fast 0/0.1
    encap dot1q 1
    ip address (default gateway IP)

int fast 0/0.2
    encap dot1q 2
    ip address (dfg for vlan2)

etc.

If you want to hang another switch off the 1721, it has 2 WIC slots. Are they both full at the moment? But why would you want to do that?
  • Options
    yes we only have one ethernet interface that is connected to a switch. Currently our workstation use the ethernet interface as the gateway for internet access.

SO if i create subinterfaces, and assign the IP address of the subint as the default gateway, how do my workstatoions access the internet?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    AFAIK, the same way. Each VLAN will have a different default gateway. If you are NATing, you'll have to add your new networks to your ACL. If you are running public IPs assigned by your ISP, you'll have to subnet what you have or request more space.
    Your router is going to have a (likely static) route to the internet. Nothing is going to change with that. It'll still receive traffic from your LAN destined for the internet, check it's routing table and forward it to your ISP. * a gotcha might be if you have your static route's set to exit out an interface as opposed to hit the next hop IP address.

What did you plan to do with 2 ethernet interfaces?

If you hit ciscos website on the 1721, you'll notice they tout the ability of it to do just what you want -- trunk 802.1Q and the 1721 is built as a low cost solution to provide WAN connectivity to a branch office.
    Currently our workstation
    Did you mean worstations? If you only have one workstation, why would you want to create VLANs? I would never suggest experimenting on production equipment for the fun of it.
  • Options
    yea of course i meant workstations, we have about 200 of them.

So im just making sure that by entering in the IP address of the subinterface for the default-gateway on my workstationS that they will still be able to access the internet and our remote sites.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    We'd have to see the routing setup on the router but yes, you have the basic idea.
  • Options
    pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well can we break an ethernet interface into sub-interfaces. I have done it so far on fats ethernet interfaces. If somebody know do tell me also.
    thanx
  • Options
    pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    well can we break an ethernet interface into sub-interfaces. I have done it so far on fats ethernet interfaces. If somebody know do tell me also.
    thanx

david's configuration don't work for u?
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    You could have one of your VLANs handle your internet traffic, or add one specifically for that purpose. Then connect your broadband router/firewall/modem to a port on the switch assigned to that VLAN.
    On the router, you would have a corresponding subinterface representing that VLAN. The router could use a route of last resort (default gateway) using the IP of the router/firewall/modem going through the correct subinterface.