Options

Help desk at cable ISP company

Well, after much more searching I found another job, however the details and looking for some more experienced people to lend some insights.

Still would be 1st IT position, its for a Tier 3 advanced support position at a local broadband company, apparently its 2nd shift(3pm-12 midnight EST), which isnt working to well with my newly wed wife. It seems like a great jumping off boat I think anyway. About a 1.25$/hour increase from where I am now.

Would taking this job, help me land something better in say 6 months time, if i cant get off 2nd shift there?

PS, another positive is I think I get free cable!
70-291 Next....

Comments

• Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    First if they're hiring you for 2nd shift I would expect to be on 2nd shift for at least a year.

Second any experience is valuable.

Third and most important. Is the money ($1.25/hr) and the experience worth losing your wife. May not come to that but you should definetely consider it. If IT jobs are that hard to find and land in your area I would say go for it. You can always quit if it jepordizes your marriage.

I did 3rd shift at the local hospital for a year before I got this job. BUT, the experience gained at that job (plus the certs that experience helped me get) is what landed me this job. So take whatever road you have to to get where you want to go.

Good Luck!!
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good job man sounds good
    p.s. i hope you got a good cable package and dvr lol!
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Your choice.

However experience has shown me that my happiness and sanity if far, far more important to ME then a couple dollars.

$50 a week gross
    $2600 a year
    Your net will not be much more then you currently see.

To me, not worth 2nd Shift.

NOW 3rd is pretty good (assuming there is one and 1st is usually a seniority thing). Typically there is a 3rd shift premium, no or few management types and still leaves your days open for 'stuff'. It's sometimes difficult for people to get their sercanium rhythum in check, but it's a nice shift particular for a younger person.

FWIW - I'd pass. There will be better options.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    If you want to progress in an industry, the first logical step would be to get a job in that industry.

If you want to rapidly progress your career in the IT industry in 6 month intervals, this will be the first of many sacrifices your lovely bride will make. Life is all about sacrifices, after all.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you can get your wife to play along, this sounds like a good opportunity for you to get started.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    Welp, I turned it down today, they offered i respectfully declined. More then just the shift, it was also they could not tell me what days I would work untill I had accepted and went through orientation is what they said. However my friend, who accepted the job, is on his 2nd day of training and still does not know what days he will be working.

So far the 2nd job Ive turned down, beginning to think I need to move somewhere else to find something.
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Welp, I turned it down today, they offered i respectfully declined. More then just the shift, it was also they could not tell me what days I would work untill I had accepted and went through orientation is what they said. However my friend, who accepted the job, is on his 2nd day of training and still does not know what days he will be working.

So far the 2nd job Ive turned down, beginning to think I need to move somewhere else to find something.

Hang in there!! Things will get better.
    I had a company solicite me for to run their nursery (plants). When I responded they couldn't provide me any informaton and were actually offended that I had questions about them....I kindly reminded them that I had not applied but that they found me. Needless to say, I refused the interview and found something far better (at that time) and didn't need to relocate.

While it may have been an opportunity for you, I still hold that some of the jobs I took in my youth because I thought the experience would benefit me (financially)....never really panned out. I did however gain a LOT of experience and personally makes me a more sound employee/contractor but I didn't have to think about my family at that time as I was still single.

You have a job :) So, keep in mind that it's easiest to find a job when you already have one....it will work out! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□

You did the right thing. If you have an income already then theres no rush. Wait for the right job that suites you best or at least one that only requires sacrafices you can make without seriously affecting your life.

An extra $1.25 an hour for that shift? No way!
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□

I don't blame you at all. The fact that they couldn't tell you what your schedule would be is absolutely rediculous! I don't know if you have any HD experience already, but I will tell you it is a good general foundation for IT. Don't settle for something though thinking you're going to leave in a few months. Good luck on the job hunt!
  • Options
    *update* !!

Well, Ive about had it with my current job and decided this weekend while on vacation, Id continue with my certs when I get back and go for an MCSA to broaden my certs.

However, my former classmate who took this position(and got a 1st shift when they told him he would get a 3rd shift.) Called me this morning, and was telling his supervisor about me. With a few transitions, he said I would be on 1st shift for atleast 3 + months, but it may have to take a 2nd shift after that. I told him I would do that, since the courses I wanted to take are sold out.

Now to a different question, I really want to get into the Cisco field, hopefully one day to become a CCVP or higher. What are the chances I could move from a help desk tier 3 position over to maybe a network admin/entry lvl NOC position?

I'd also be helping with digital phone service with this position also(The position is with Time Warner Cable.) Thanks for all your input!
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    Bump to ask for help.
    70-291 Next....