Options

How to test switches?

12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,
I just bought a 1924 and 2924 switches but I am not sure how to test them. I mean I powered them up but not sure how to test them. They are still under 7-day guarantee and I just want to make sure they are not defective.

I am not ready to play around with the switches yet, probably in another 2 weeks or more. I do have a 2610 router though.

Thanks!
The sky is the limit!

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well if they past post then you should have only the system and stat lights lit. To test them further you would do the same as for your 2610 router. That is plug your roll over cable into the console port on the back of the unit and fire up Hyperterminal or what ever terminal program that you prefer. If they are already booted type 'sh ver <enter>' and see what is says. for the 1900 if it does not have enterprise IOS then use it to prop open your door. If it displays a menu then find the command line option and use it like your 2924 until you get to vlan commands. If no command line option on the menu then repeat door prop option unless you can find a copy of enterprise ios for the 1900. The last time that I looked on the Cisco site they only make the standard version available for download. Your 2924 should respond something like this.

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)XU, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 03-Apr-00 16:37 by swati
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00301398

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

Switch2924XL1 uptime is 4 weeks, 9 hours, 3 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5-XU.bin"

cisco WS-C2924C-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 0x0F, with hardware revision 0x01
    Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software
    Cluster command switch capable
    Cluster member switch capable
    24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    --More--
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    The switches test themselfs during POST... See if you have all green lighs or amber lights blinking... The manual will tell you what color the lights should be if they are OK.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Post lights only tests the basics on switches, you can have dead ports that get reported on screen. Its pretty much like post on a PC, no beep codes but errors on screen
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply, I tested the switches. They all went past POST with no errors. I also make sure that the port status and protocol are showing up on the terminal program when I plugged a Cat 5 cable into every port. The 1924 is a enterprise edition.

Nothing much to test for 2610 since there is only one ethernet port.

I guess I can assume all three devices are working now. Will add 2 more routers (2521) and get myself ready to play around with them in 2 weeksicon_wink.gif

Will keep you guys posted!
    The sky is the limit!