Options

Just starting out

agsheanagshean Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I hope you all can give me much needed advice. I'm just returning to the IT fold after a career change and I want to get certified to help me pursue a career in System Administration. I have about one years previous experience of networks (5 years ago).

I was thinking of pursuing the MCSA Server 2003 but I am a bit concerned by Microsofts new certifications. It is worth pursuing now that they are going to restructure the whole certification process?

I've also had a look at the various CompTIA certs but someone told me that they aren't valued that much by employers here in the UK? Is this true? (No offence intended to anybody out there)

Hope someone can give me some advice.

Cheers,

Agshean.

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    I'm not sure when the new gen cert tracks are coming out (that is, ones relevant to your question, like the MCITP), but the fact is that most companies use and will still be using "older" systems, for which the current certs are relevant.
    So I would personally go with the current ones, as you can always upgrade it/them later to the new gen certs.
    witty comment
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Waiting to see won't get you back into IT any quicker. Go ahead and start, depending on your experience, you may have quite a hill ahead, and you certainly will not lose any ground if they change a test along the way.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.