Options

.NET Framework 2.0 App Development Foundation Book 70-536

mtillettmtillett Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
For those reading the 70-536 MS Self-paced Training kit (.NET Framework 2.0 App Development Foundation) you have probably noticed a whole bunch of errors in the book, both typographical and also in the actual source.

The errors in the book are so frequent that I am constantly referring to the errata list, so to not confuse myself and also just to be sure.

Is this normal for these books to be so full of mistakes, or is this an exception to the rule?

If you don't know where to get the errata list form, if can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923018/en-us

The errata list does not cover all the errors as I have noticed additional ones.

Thanks
Mat

Comments

• Options
    DeedoDeedo Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. I haven't started studying yet but I have the book sitting on my desk. Once I print all of the corrections I'll have 2 books to read :)
    If electricity comes from electrons
    does morality come from morons?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Ah, thanks for the link. I have the book but I forgot to check for an errata.

Technical mistakes are common in books when the authors themselves don't do a very good job of proofreading. The publisher's editors and copy editors can find spelling, style, grammar, and punctuation mistakes, but they can't check the material itself for technical correctness. This is the responsibility of the author(s).

My main complaint with this book is that it simply does not go into enough detail on several very important concepts in .NET programming. For example, the section on events and delegates is too small and poorly written to be useful. I'm using the book to write code examples, and I sometimes need to refer to other .NET references to understand how to get my example code working properly.

I do recommend this book when studying for 70-536, but I also recommend that it not be your only .NET study resource.
  • Options
    mtillettmtillett Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    My main complaint with this book is that it simply does not go into enough detail on several very important concepts in .NET programming. For example, the section on events and delegates is too small and poorly written to be useful. I'm using the book to write code examples, and I sometimes need to refer to other .NET references to understand how to get my example code working properly.

I couldn't agree with you more! Some sections are very skimmed and don't seem to cover the subject very well at all.
    jdmurray wrote:
    I do recommend this book when studying for 70-536, but I also recommend that it not be your only .NET study resource.

Do you have any other good recommendations? Most of my other sources of info come from good ole Google.
    Mat
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I'm a long way off from taking the exam myself (gotta finish my degree and a couple of security certs first), so I really haven't looked for any other materials written specifically for 70-536. I should really start researching and posting what materials are available for at least the MCTS exams. Please post information on any MCTS- or MPCD-specific books or Web sites that you come across.