Options

DNS

CMICMI Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I used the typical setup when setting up windows 2003 server. When I run a ipconfig the connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank. where on the server do I set this up to be automatically?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are in a domain it should automatically append that information. However, if you are not in a domain, go to your network properties, then TCP/IP properties, then advanced, then the DNS tab. You'll see it there at the bottom half..
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    I just ran a ipconfig/all on a new DC running W2k3 and the connection-specific suffix was blank. To add one in, go to the properties of the nic, TCP/IP properties, advanced tab, DNS tab, then add in the desired suffix at the bottom of the sheet.

edit: Actually read the post above.... and realized how redundant I am!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep in mind though, that this is a connection-specific suffix. When you join a domain, you are automatically appended a primary dns suffix, not a connection specific suffix. You can view the primary dns suffix by Right clicking my computer > properties > computer name tab > change button > and click on the more button. If you are in a domain and have the primary dns suffix, you can also create a connection-specific suffix.

When using dns hostname, hostname.domain.com by itself, the primary dns suffix automatically gets appended (unc uses netbios though). If you are using connection specific suffixes as well, they will get appended after it tries your primary dns suffix.

Hope this helps.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    EDIT...said already.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)