Options

Best Study Methods ?

ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
Which are the best study methods please,

Is it the Cram Method - short term, or is it 4 weeks
of intensive studying with last minute cramming.
Please guide me in what are the best successful
study techniques. Thanks, Ric
Richard Krenzel

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I know it's kind of a cop-out, but I find that the best study method is the one that suits each person, individually. What works for me doesn't always suit someone else, and vice-versa.

What I like to do is kind of a multi-pronged attack:
      First, I spend some time doing video study, either CBT Nuggets or
    TestOut.
      Then I go through a comprehensive book, such as a Sybex or MS Press book, depending on the test. (Not a "cram" book, but a complete study guide.)
      Then I'll go and do some hands-on lab work. Either looking up the objectives for the test I'm studying for and working with each technology in each topic, or looking at sites like this one. (I like to call that "unconventional study material".)
      After that, it's all about review. Re-read chapters, re-watch videos, look at technotes.
      Take the test.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ricktea wrote:
    Which are the best study methods please,

Is it the Cram Method - short term, or is it 4 weeks
    of intensive studying with last minute cramming.
    Please guide me in what are the best successful
    study techniques. Thanks, Ric

Ricktea,

Haven't you asked this a couple time already? Maybe worded a bit differently each time, but it seems as though you are looking for 1 quick way to prepare for the exam to pass.

Sorry to tell you (again) there is no quick way. Get yourself a copy of the CompTIA A+ objects. Read them. Highlight the areas that are vague to yourself and begin researching, working, implementing ways to use, make work or just plan practice that knowledge.

The Meyers book is one that is highly recommend as well as Sybex. If you know the material ExamCram is ok for review...however it isn't geared as a teaching text and I personally don't like their material as there seems to be too many errors. Maybe it has changed, but I just won't waste my time. Others say they really enjoy them.

Best materials:
    1. Experience
    2. CompTIA objectives
    3. Meyers and/or Sybex books.
    4. Experience
    5. Experience
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    shaweetareekshaweetareek Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been studying A+ through some great Video Training and I believe the video training method is the best way to learn any subject of IT.
  • Options
    Family_GuyFamily_Guy Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been using TestOut's A+ series, it's good, but i'd recommend a book to compliment the material. I'm probably going to order the Meyer's book as soon as I can, take practice tests online and make sure that you look up anything you miss. I've found that A+ core is a lot of memorization rather then method and reasoning like network+.
    Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence. -Dawkins

2010 Path

Network+ : Started | Server+ : Pending
    Security+ : Pending | Linux+ : Pending
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like others have mentioned, it really depends on the person, but I would NEVER recommend someone relying solely on last minute cramming. If you don't have decent experience with PC hardware/software, then study for at least a couple hours a day for a month or two and you should be fine.

Don't forget to get your hands dirty. If you got a PC laying around, open it up and look around. Get familiar with the things that are being discussed in the books. Good Luck!