Options

Will BIOS update fire CPU ?

QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone:

I have a customer brought his computer back to my company work shop today, he complains about the BIOS update fire his CPU.
First of all, I a HW tech with 2 years experience and approaching to obtain the A+ exam (Hopefully by the end of next month). My Customre was yelling about after he flash the BIOS the diagnostic LED at the back showed YYGY. This is a Dell Desktop Optiplex GX240. I looked it up online in the Dell site it tells CPU activity failure. We perform the first aid on his system. We've done clear CMOS. Reseating the Ram, Reseating the CPU, Removing RAM - no beep code and removing CPU - no beep code. No matter how hard we try, the system is not bring back up - No video but the back of the computer showed YYGY Diagnostic code. However, we dont have same type of CPU to swap his existing CPU with in our shop. Customer was very rude and was going crazy in our shop. He asked fora new system. We all know replacing motherboard and CPU will fix the problem for sure. But his offer is over the expectation.

I personally dont think updating BIOS will cause the CPU damage. I tried to explain to that rude guy, however, he said the BIOS update overeclock the CPU ..etc. I really have no clue what is talking about. I was studying for my A+ exam recently - What I've told by the book is the BIOS contacts all the device info and I/O instruction code. I dont think its related with the CPU clock speed...etc. That guy was yelling really bad with lots of colorful words.....eventaully my manager said No to him and suggest him to contact Dell. Coz in all cases that we think it is CPU failure, however, we cannot really explain him why CPU is not working after flashing the BIOS (which is what his argument).

So that's why, I want to post this question in here to see what are the opinon from all of you experts here.

Also what is the first component active when you turn on the system (What are the steps of system POSTing).

From what I understand when computer power up - BIOS is going to communicate with all the device (i.e RAM, CPU, HDD..etc) => If not detect anyone of those it will beep or error message on screen else it will start loading boot files from the HDD. That's all what I know about the start up process once you turn on the system. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That would be great if any of you experts here can tell why CPU fire after BIOS flashed and what are the actual POSTing do ?

Thank you for anyone who interesting on this topic. Feel free to repsonse your comments.

QuestionTime.
The better a man is , the more mistakes he will make . Peter Drucker!

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    lots of "damage" can happen from incorrect BIOS updates.

"usually" you can not load an incorrect BIOS from another model, because of error checking, but I have seen cases where it attempts to rewrite the CMOS, and fails, and you are left without a BIOS to load.

in this case, I dont think it's a damage done from BIOS updating, it sounds like his motherboard died, and he tried to fix it with upgrading the BIOS.

You say it's not powering up, have you tried to use another power supply?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you clarify for me who did the bios update, your shop or the customer? Did he purchase the system from your shop?

Bios updates on Dells are among the easiest of all to do. The bios name (for the most part) matches the model of the computer, it checks and warns you if it is wrong. You don't even need a boot disk anymore, you simply double click and executable, the computer reboots, and you're done.

If the customer is talking about "overclocking" then I would guess that he tried overclocking the CPU from the bios himself and when it fried his CPU he is trying to shift the blame to you.

Have you checked Dell's site for known issues on his model?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I know that this is a business, but this is exactly why I don't do PC repair for individual people anymore. Most techs do work on the side for a few bucks, but it just seems that the $30 or $40 people pay you to work on their system makes them think that they own you and can call you anytime and it entitles them to lifetime support on their computers.

It makes me crazy to hear a customer say "you worked on my computer a few weeks ago and now it doesn't work!" Somehow thinking that something I did to fix their computer broke it in the future, in fact, we still hear that - someone will say "so-and-so tech fixed my computer early last week and now something is wrong."

I remeber my first job pumping gas, back when gas stations had attendants. One of the old timers said "you could fill someone's car with gas, like you've done a hundred times before, and if they drive down the street and their car blows up, they'll come back and say 'what did you do to my car!?'

That customer broke the computer, not you. If it was working when you gave it back and it took him more than a few days to figure out it was broken then it is not your fault. The guy wants to overclock - which means he is a tinkerer. Give him his computer back and tell him to never come back to your store ... Tabernac, this kind of customer makes me mad! (sorry about the language, but some of you guys must understand?)
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    deneb829, I know exactly what you mean.
    I was a pc tech for almost 2 years, and I have heard all sorts of excuses.

"You formatted my hard drive, and now my favourites are gone"
    "You changed the mid-tower and now my USB drive plugs in upside down"
    "My burner doesnt burn ps2 games"
    etc... icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway,

=> QuestionTime, if you really want to try and fix this computer. I would try the following test sequence:
    reset CMOS
    power supply
    RAM
    CPU
    motherboard

good luck~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you clarify for me who did the bios update, your shop or the customer? Did he purchase the system from your shop?

Our company selling the used computer to indivdual, just like a garage sell. Its the customer he did the BIOS update and screwed it up. He brought the system back saying we sold him a computer that's not working.

Sometimes I am feeling Hardware Tech as same as Customer service job. People they dont know how to get the stuff working, will just complain it is broken...... ! Sigh !! It pissed me of so much.

Back to the case, for sure that guy will have to get a MOBO or CPU or Bth replacement. In any cases, I dont think BIOS update will screwed up the system, especially the Dell BIOS will only apply to the specify type. The chance he update wrong BIOS is 0%. Coz the computer will refuse the operation if wrong BIOS update.

Thankx for everyone supporting me here.. icon_redface.gif
    The better a man is , the more mistakes he will make . Peter Drucker!