Options

I got a new JOB!!!

mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got a new job!

Today I just found out that I was offered a position with HCA Healthcare to be in their Network Support department! I’m just so happy I have to tell someone. I haven’t told my boss yet or my wife, I’m waiting until later to tell my wife but going to tell my boss at lunch.

Check out the job description.

3-7 years
Required:
This position will be responsible for deploying and supporting network security solutions for HCA. These solutions will require Security Engineer level knowledge skill sets for; Security technologies (Firewalls, CheckPoint, PIX/ASA), LAN/VLAN/WAN/MAN technologies, Layer 2 and 3, Cisco product base, Internet/VPN/SSL/IPSec, troubleshooting skillsets, network analysis (Wildpackets, TCPDump), capacity planning, OSPF/BGP routing protocols.

Job description:
Must be able to interact with and provide technical direction for end user departments and facilities. Outside relationships include company vendors, professional organizations, external auditors and consultants.
Close consultation with Network Engineering management to provide recommendations and/or advice on network performance or capacity direction.

The interview was hard, it was 2 hours long with four of their best and they just drilled me with technical questions, and had me draw diagrams on the board and troubleshoot stuff. But it was soo worth it. This was my second interview with this company but for a different department. Its hard to get with this company wow.

Sweet thing is I’m just 23 years old, and they are offering me 60,000 a year. I originally went in for just 54k but they bumped it up to 60!

Another sweet thing is, they are going to train me on all of these things! They know I have my CCNA but I only know just enough about cisco to get my CCNA they are going to teach me the rest.

I just wanted to post this also to let others know to hang in their with your job searches. I have been searching for another job for about a year. Don’t get me wrong I have been full time employed also. I have had MANY interviews with staffing agencies and companies with no avail. Until today! Just hang in there guys, it will happen!
Marcus Williamson

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Scwheet! Congratulations on the new job, and with the potential for more training.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

And with the aging Boomers, its a growth industry!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's awesome!!! Perseverance does come through in the end, that's a fact.
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    congrats mwill!!!

What you said will really motivate me to keep looking for my new job
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Congrats dude. That really is sweet.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wow! congratulations!

learn all you can !
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Fantastic! Congratulations!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    I am happy for you. Now go show them what you're made of.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    w0jn4w0jn4 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

What other certifications do you have? I am preparing for MCSE certification.
  • Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got to say im going on 22 and this is definetely motivation. Im the type to put in extra effort and stories like this just confirm my beliefs!!
    good job "give um hell" lol
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for all your support guys!

To answer the question about my certs, I have my CCNA, MCP, Network+, and DCSE (Dell cert).

I'm glad it motivates some of you, as I hoped it would. I know I was thinking about giving up not too long ago myself.

Thanks again guys!

Wish me luck on Oct 16th, this will be my first day at the new job.
    Marcus Williamson
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    How was your 1st week on the job?
    How do you like it?
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! That sounds like an excellent opportunity. Let us know how it goes.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Well my first week was a great week.

I'm a network engineer in the network support department. I'll be working with many Cisco devices and switches. Usualy troubleshooting them and runing bandwidth reports and researching slow WAN links for the Meditech application being used here. Also working directly with AT&T to upgrade circuits and to redesign their network if need be.

I have access to all the 20,00+ switches and routers. Working with some MPLS and BGP also. Its is very awesome here.

It feels like i'm going to college and getting paid for it. The guys are great and so is my manager.

Currently right now i'm shadowing a guy, (hes out of town now though, so i'm shadowing another guy.)

They told me it takes an average of 6 months to learn the network here and to be comfortable with the layout. I'll be shadowing these guys for about 3 months until i'm on my own. So you know its complex here.

So overall i'm very happy here. I dont like the feel of a contract, but as i see it here, its very stable and most people contract here for about a year before they get hired by HCA full time anyways. Its a good track record that people do get hired on.

Thanks for wanting to know!
    Marcus Williamson
  • Options
    routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congradulations mwill, That is a great opportunity I wish you the best of luck. You motivate me you do the same.
  • Options
    RavenSpawnRavenSpawn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job and mostly the fact that you enjoy your new job. Getting a new job is one thing but enjoying it and getting along with everyone would be the icing on the cake. As for the contract, I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure you'll be hired full time once the contract is up.
  • Options
    Hate to keep this post going any longer but.. I just had to say, I learned today, that this job was between me and this other guy. The other guy works at NASA and has more hands on experince than I do.

But the reason they picked me is because, my ambition, and I have my CCNA.

They other guy did not, so this caused him not to get the job. They said it was equal between us, but my CCNA pulled me through.

So guys moral of this story is. Certifications really can make a difference.

thanks

marcus
    Marcus Williamson
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats awesome news!!! Thanks for sharing that last part!