Options

Veritas Backup Exec

AdiaxAdiax Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, so I just started a new job as a Network/System Admin at a small financial firm 2 months ago. They run Windows 2003 SBS which they run nightly backups onto a tape drive using Veritas Backup Exec 9.1. Part of my job is to make sure the backup is successful and resolve any issues that might arise.

Now the problem is I know next to nothing about tape backups and Veritas. Does anyone have any experience with Veritas and if so how did you get it. Also, does anyone have any books or online resources they would recommend for it. Yes, I can get a tape drive and a copy of the software and play with it at home but I am also looking for some sort of documentation and/or tutorials to increase my knowledge on it as well.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I know where you're coming from, my job (a small bank) uses Veritas and I knew nothing coming in. After you get the hang of it, it's quite easy. I primarily used Google for any problems I had. Since issues are always different, one thing I will tell you as far as checking the backups, is just do a test restore. When you do the restore make sure you redirect the data to another folder on a drive with enough space to hold all the data off the tape.

If this works and all your data is there, your backup was successful.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    http://support.veritas.com/

I use it ALL the time!!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd like to go on the record and say I absolutely loathe Backup Exec but, alas, I'm stuck using it.
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I'd like to go on the record and say I absolutely loathe Backup Exec

Lolz, which would you rather use, that or Arcserve? I work in DR and the majority of my clients use Backup Exec. Some use Arcserve and I find it quite annoying too!!
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Arcserve is my preferred choice.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Download a copy of the Administrator's guide for your version of Backup Exec, it's a great resource.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...