Options

Interview Advice (sort of)

TecShdwTecShdw Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, after 5 years of working for an ISP doing support I'm finally on my way to getting into a job that I would enjoy. It's at a Universitiy doing internal PC/Network Support. Anyhow, I've made it past the HR interview and an interview with the tech manager. Next step I was told by the manager today is that I will be getting a 'tech screen' on the phone and the final step is to visit the University meet everyone and do a presentation.

The last part is what I'm looking for advice on. I was told that the presentation could be on anything (tech or non-tech), it's basically to see what sort of organization and presentation skills I have I suppose. Anyhow, any ideas? Anyone ever hear of this for an interview before? I have some ideas on what I would like to do, but I'm really curious if anyone else has done this what sort of format should I be using. Should I do something with powerpoint and hand-outs...ect. ect.

If you want to hear some of my ideas I'll let you all know also (wow it's been about 5 years since I've done a presentation to anyone).

OH, here's the biggie. I was told that it is to be 30-40 minutes with time left for QnA. (30-40 minutes is a decently lengthed presentation)

Thanks Guys!
PC Technician Certified - MCSA Server 2003, MCTS-Vista
My Site - My Forum

Comments

• Options
    RavenSpawnRavenSpawn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've never heard of an interview process like this. Both tech jobs I've had before were either with just the tech manager or HR and tech manager together. I was asked tech questions by the tech manager and regular questions by the HR recruiter. Other than that, nothing else. As for the presentation, I would agree to do powerpoint handouts, it looks more professional and whoever's attending your presentation can go back to your handouts if needed.

"break a leg" on that presentation.
  • Options
    Yeah I thought it was odd also. I've already done the HR and the tech manager part. I obviously passed it....But now I guess a tech guy is supposed to call me this week and then this presentation thing.
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think you're on the right track with the ideas of PPT slides and handouts, that sort of thing. Just one thing to remember, this process is supposed to try to unnerve you, to see if you'll faulter when under pressure. Don't stress out too much, take the interview process as it comes, and answer any questions they have for you to the best of your ability. You've made it this far for a reason, you just have to get a little further. I'm sure you'll make it, just show them who you are and what you can do.

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we are." - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow! 30-40 minute presentation just for an interview? I have never seen nor sat through a presentation on a single subject by one person that long ever.

Does the 30-40 mins include QnA?

My advice would be to pick a subject you know really well and go to great detail about it. Since you have a lot of experience in an ISP maybe you could go into detail about how an ISP actually works. Structure your presentation so it works into the detail level and explain things very precisely and clearly.

Definitely use PPT and you may not need the hand outs if you can offer to e-mail the presentation to them at a later stage. Maybe a few strategic papers would be handy especially if they are really detailed and hard to read on screen.

Good luck filling that amount of time though.
  • Options
    Yes, the 30-40 minutes includes QnA. There's a few things I've got in mind so far though. Thanks for the advice guys!
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My advice would be to pick a subject you know really well and go to great detail about it. Since you have a lot of experience in an ISP maybe you could go into detail about how an ISP actually works. Structure your presentation so it works into the detail level and explain things very precisely and clearly.
    That sounds like a great idea for his presentation, I've never heard of a hiring process like that. I had to go through a human resources interview, normal job interview, and then an interview with the executive director (was over several departments including ours). Good luck with it, sounds like you probably have the job, just one more little stumbling block before it's yours.
  • Options
    borumas thanks for the vote of confidence. This is a job I've really been working towards, and who wouldn't want to work at a university (great benefits).

Now I just have to figure out just what I'm going to do it on. At least I have some new ideas from you guys. I've just drawn a mental block I think icon_eek.gif
    My Site - My Forum