Resume job experience listing- this good?

borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys I'm going to apply for a job that I just found out about and I've been out of the loop of job searching for 5 years so I wanted some input on my listing of job experience on my resume. I have listed just the job titles and the things I did in that job, on the resume the duties are bulleted (I used a * in place of bullets here) but it doesn't transfer over to a post very well:

Network Technician
*Experience installing/configuring Cisco 1900, 2900, 3500/3550, 3700 switches, 3550 inline powered switches, 4500 and 6500 core switches
*Back up configurations files, edit them, upgrade IOS’s on switches using TFTP, and password recovery in some cases
*Install network closets, including racks, Panduit, switches, routers, ups (APC and Power Ware brands), servers (Novell, AIX, and Microsoft)
*Duties include editing and maintaining What’s Up Gold network monitoring software and inventory of equipment
*Install and configure Cisco wireless 1100’s, 1200’s, & 350 access points, 1400 and 350 bridges, also have done wireless surveys
*Proficient using Netstumbler, Angry Ipscanner, Secure CRT, 3Cdaemon, Qcheck, experience tracking down rogue DHCP servers

Computer Technician
*Workstation support for district with over 28,000 PC’s, 4,000 Printers
*Did Dell, Gateway, and Lexmark warranty repairs on desktops, laptops, and printers, also repaired HP printers
*Imaging using Drive Image, Ghost, Altiris, and Zenworks
*Novell administration of user accounts, and printers
*Experience with Crystal Reports, Winnocular, Groupwise, Outlook, MS Office, Netscape, Mozilla, McAfee AV, and eTrust AV

Software Technician
*Worked for Workstation Support- site had over 6000 end users
*Loaded operating systems (Windows 98, NT4, Windows 2000, and Novell Client), Microsoft Office 2000, TICOMM, Fabmaster Caddie, and Unified Messenger
*Upgraded computers, mapped network drives, and installed/set up printers
*Attached users to NT and Novell network, set up network settings on workstations
*Repaired PC’s and transferred data using Ghost and other backup/imaging software

Production Technician
*Built custom computers and loaded all software
*Upgraded laptops and printers by adding memory, drives, etc.
*Installed Windows 95, 98, Millennium, 2000, NT4, Office 97, and Office 2000, used Ghost to transfer images
*Worked on Compaq Proliants and other large workstations and servers doing upgrades and OS installs
*Repaired computers in the service department

Does that look ok for experience listing or should I word some things differently, help is appreciated in advance. I know personally the guy who has the final say in the hiring process there and word is he wants me or a co-worker for this job but I still want my resume to look as sharp as possible.

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    first thing i will mention is that .. if thats what i'm reading correctly is that the cat 4507 and cat 6500? if so those are switches icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    first thing i will mention is that .. if thats what i'm reading correctly is that the cat 4507 and cat 6500? if so those are switches icon_wink.gif
    Hmm, don't they have a router module for them, seems like they have a routing side and a switching side to some of the one's I've logged into at work. If not then thanks, we also refer to them as core switches sometimes, I guess they are just switches with layer 3 ability? I changed it on the resume to core switches instead of routers, seems like we use them for routing, we use IP helper addressing and OSPF on them, I guess that's why I figured they were routers (I don't do much detail work with them other than setting up port descriptions, turning on or off trunking on ports, etc...).
    So I guess the rest looks ok then? I will be sending this off probably on Thursday or earlier, thanks again.
    Well I decided not to apply there, they have no Cisco equipment and the job would hardly involve working with switches and routers at all, it would mostly be assisting the Microsoft engineer with backups and server upgrades, etc...- that's not what I'm looking to get into. Also I doubt they would pay me what I'm asking for, I will probably put in an application just to get it cleared for any future jobs.

I would like however to know if what I posted above looks good now with the correction about the 4500/6500's being called core switches instead of routers (they are layer 3 switches and we use them for routing at my work).
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    You will have to make a decision about this yourself, but I have heard numerous times and I strongly agree myself that you shouldnt have more than 4 points per "section"

"resume is an art, not a science"

you dont plug everything about you on your resume and hope to get a job, it's more about how you are presenting what you are presenting, than what you are actually presenting.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    You will have to make a decision about this yourself, but I have heard numerous times and I strongly agree myself that you shouldnt have more than 4 points per "section"
    Thanks, that sounds like good advice, I guess more than 4 points makes it look a bit cluttered. I will try and cut down some or condense to make them all 4 instead of 5 or 6 points, I think your are right in that will make it look more symetrical and less scattered.
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    I think the content looks really good. I'm no Cisco guy, so definitely make sure the equipment is listed correctly.

As bighornsheep mentions, resumes are really an art, and they are usually handled by a number of different people. I was a hiring manager for many years, and I can say having 4 or 5 bullet points never swayed who was invited for an interview, but missing skill sets might.

So I would do your best to get them down to 4 bullets per section, but not at the expense of listing your relavent experience in the area.

More importantly, keep the resume looking clean and organized; double check spelling and grammer, and sell your self a little more.

Displaying a summary of your skill-sets and responsibilities is good, but showing accomplishments, achievements, and contributions that you made to those organizations is better. When reading a resume, I often look for what the person could potentially contribute to the organization... and if it is favorable (even if it isn't exactly what I placed for the position), that person will get an interview.

Good luck, and even if you weren't interested in the job, it might have been a good idea to submit your resume and do the interview, just to get a little more comfortable with the process. And if you are not really that interested, try not to waste the persons time and just be honest about your goals and what you are looking for... and if they know anyone interested in a Cisco admin, please forward my information to them. Network whenever and where ever you can.

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+