Options

laid off advice

CMICMI Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
There was a layoff at work and I got cut. Any suggestions of where to go from here? Good places to look besides carrerbuilder or monster? I am seeing this as a sign to finish my mcsa. I just started studying for the 290 again. My last project was to install two 2003 servers and a wan. To bad I was unable to stay long enough to finish the project.

Comments

• Options
    computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No offense, but did you stop pursueing certifications after you got that job (before you got laid off) ?
  • Options
    CMICMI Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, Ive only been at this job for four months. So there was not much of a lapse since my last certification. I just got my MCP certificate a month ago.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Definately a good sign to get your cert. That's exactly what I did when I was out of work, (not laid off, my contract position ended.) I managed to find a good job.

Two resources for you to look at are craigslist.org (search for your area), and Dice.com is more of a tech job search site.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Hit the concrete & start looking. Good Luck!
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Keep looking and don't give up hope. I was laid off for 6 months and was about to go back into the restaurant business when I got my job. I went from 12/hr to 20+/hr. The layoff hurt but it worked out for me. I spent about 4 hours a day of serious looking while I was laid off. I tried to work on job hunting 8 hours a day but really after the first few there isn't that much you can do. I wish I had taken the opportunity to work on my certs then. Now I have 2 jobs, go to school, and have a 2 year old.

You will get through the lay-off and it may seem bleak while you wait. It worked out well for me so there is no reason it can't work out for you as well.

Good Luck,
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    If you are in the United States, immediately apply for unemployment insurance via your state government's Web site. You need to know now if your former employer will deny your UI claim. There's no harm in filing for UI if you find a job soon afterwards, but if you don't find one soon, those weekly (or bi-weekly) checks will be a welcome sight.
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    if your in the UK, try...

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/Default.aspx
    http://www.jobserve.com/

or you can have mine as my ba5t4rd boss has no idea what I do and doesnt pay me enough! icon_mad.gif ( rant over )

good luck though!
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    If you can afford to do it, definitely keep working on your certs while you're laid off. I was working towards my associates's degree in IT when I got my first IT job, and got complacent and stopped pursuing it. Then 9/11 hit and I found myself unemployed, with nothing else to put on my resume other than a couple years of experience, which was OK, but I really wish I had continued with my schooling and certification pursuit. I was lucky enough to find another job that I really enjoy, but I'm still getting my certs because you never know what will happen. When things like 9/11 hit and there are millions of people looking for jobs, you need every advantage that you can get.